Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Forgot PIN, can't pass lock screen

elfrank
1: Seeker

Hi,

I forgot my PIN, so I can't login on my phone. On other Android devices, when I input the password incorrectly 5 times, I get the following option: "Forgot PIN". This option let me reset my password by using my registered gmail account.

I haven't been able to get that option on my S5. How can I do it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kieranumanee
3: Seeker
I think also that we need to make it clear for people experiencing the issue.

If you have FINGER PRINT, SWIPE or PATTERN unlock.. You DO have the option to unlock via Google if your unlock code or patter or print is not recognised.

The issue is if you have set up a PIN unlock code. In this instance and ONLY this instance.. There is NO option given to you by the device to unlock via Google whatsoever.

If any user has this issue (i.e forgot your PIN unlock code) . Your only option is to unlock it by logging on to your SAMSUNG account from something other than your phone. Your Samsung account is completely different to your Google account. Here you can locate your phone if its lost, lock it, make it ring, wipe the data.. Or most relevant to this issue.. unlock the device remotely!

If that doesnt work only then should you follow Matts advice for a hard reset.

I had this issue today and managed to unlock

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

You carn't this is part of Samsungs Knox security

The only option is a Factory wipe in recovery mode then login via your samsung accout but this will wipe every thing

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi elfrank,

You would need to perform a factory reset at this point to access the phone.

You can do this without accessing the settings page by following the steps below:

• Power down the phone completely
  • Press power, volume down and home buttons at the same time, simultaneously
  • Keep pressing these keys until recovery mode is being displayed on your Galaxy S5
  • In recovery mode, use volume up and down buttons in order to scroll up and down; also use power button in order to select your option
  • Select the factory reset option using the power button, and the phone will then perform the reset

You can also visit your local Samsung Service centre to get this sorted.

Thanks,

Matt B

Matt B

I had the same issue; Setting your phone to unlock via Finger Print Scanner means that you can also use an "alternative password" or "unlock via Google" if the device has difficulty detecting your fingerprint. However, setting your phone unlock method to 'Unlock using PIN' seems to be the only option whereby users are not given the option to 'Unlock via Google' as an alternative. 

That said, doing a 'Hard Reset' is the last resort (and would erase all data) - I would suggest that you change the advice, because there is another option available to users who have forgotten their PIN to their device. You can log on to your Samsung Service Account via a PC/Mac (which should have been set up on first use of the device) - from here, you can perform a number of useful actions, one of which includes a remote Lock/Unlock of your phone. This does require a data/wifi connection however. 

I had the same problem, forgot my device unlock PIN and managed to remotely unlock my phone, then was able to set a new PIN from my phone aftewards - with no need to lose any data!

I forgot my pin and just after i'd got the phone used up all my finger swipes.

I was able to use my gmail details to get in and then reset to swipe to open.

Can't remember exactly what i did but it did prompt me through the steps.

Just using swipe to open as i always used to lol

Samsung S7 Edge G935FXXU1DQB3 7.0

You are a life saver dude... I tried this and it worked.... Didn't loose a damn thing. Thank you SO SO SO much.

kieranumanee
Stan, I'm fairly certain that all other types of security lock methods give you an alternative method to unlock.. I. E.. Via google account. The only one that doesnt give you an alternative option is if you have set your phone to unlock via PIN.. In which case.. No matter how often you enter it incorrectly, you are not given an option to unlock via google. In this case the only way to unlock is via the Samsung Services Account through a PC/Mac or another device.

vodaexpert
12: Established
12: Established
Guys,

If your Samsung Mobile is locked and it is asking for Gmail account then trust me you had it if you don't know Gmail login details, Best is to follow the same steps which Matt has provided it will work but all ur phone data will be lost.

kieranumanee
Vodaexpert.. Matts advice will work but as you said.. You would lose EVERYTHING. Matts advice is last resort only.

Unlocking your phone via your SAMSUNG account (different to google account) which you would have had to create when setting up the phone. This is the easiest the way to unlock your device WITHOUT losing anything. Its like apples version of Find My iPhone.

kieranumanee
I think also that we need to make it clear for people experiencing the issue.

If you have FINGER PRINT, SWIPE or PATTERN unlock.. You DO have the option to unlock via Google if your unlock code or patter or print is not recognised.

The issue is if you have set up a PIN unlock code. In this instance and ONLY this instance.. There is NO option given to you by the device to unlock via Google whatsoever.

If any user has this issue (i.e forgot your PIN unlock code) . Your only option is to unlock it by logging on to your SAMSUNG account from something other than your phone. Your Samsung account is completely different to your Google account. Here you can locate your phone if its lost, lock it, make it ring, wipe the data.. Or most relevant to this issue.. unlock the device remotely!

If that doesnt work only then should you follow Matts advice for a hard reset.

I had this issue today and managed to unlock