Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Formatting micro SD card for internal memory for HTC One A9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Has anyone managed to do this successfully and if so what card did you use?

I want to be able to transfer some apps onto the card to free up phone storage space.

I bought one that says its speed class 3:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Micro-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00RVNFXWY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=t...

but when I try to format the card for internal storage in the phone it says its too slow and I need one that is speed class 3 - but that is what I thought I had bought!

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

It could be that you have a fake SD card which is why you're getting that error message.  It could also be a case of the phone not reading the card correctly.

I'd recommend formatting the card in a computer first and then using it to transfer photos over.  Also if this SD card doesn't work, try another brand - sometimes devices just don't like a particular card but it works perfectly in other devices. 

PWIAC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I just tried formatting the new card in my PC (that says it's speed class 3 and has a number 3 inside a U printed on it) then put it in my phone and am still getting the same error message that it's too slow.  So it looks like it might be the card.  I will try another of the same spec (Sandisk are a good brand I guess), but the next card speed up is the Sandisk Extreme Pro which is ££££ from Amazon and from the reviews looks like its mainly used by professional photographers and video people - I don't want to spend nearly £100 on a card.

Alternatively, if I take the phone into a Vodafone shop would they let me try out a range of discs before I buy one?

Thanks

drey_p

@squeakymouse wrote:

Alternatively, if I take the phone into a Vodafone shop would they let me try out a range of discs before I buy one?

I doubt it as the SD cards are usually is sealed packages.  If you wanted to try any of them they would have to break the seals and I can't imagine they'd do that. 

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion

FWIW, I'm ccurrently using a very old card that came with a Nokia N78 (that old!) and has been in a variety of devices since.  It works fine in my HTC One M8 and must be a lot slower than Class 3.   I wonder whether it's a faulty card or there's an issue with the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have now tried out a third card - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Memory-SDSDQXP-064G-FFPA/dp/B00Q4X8OTQ?ie=UTF8&psc... and am still getting the same error message.  I tried a factory reset of the phone and am still getting the same error so am wondering if the phone may be faulty?  The cards work fine in the phone as removable external storage for music, pictures etc, but the phone won't format them as internal (adoptable) storage (so that I can move apps to them) as it says they are too slow and I need a speed class 3 card.  I might take it into a Vodafone shop and see if they can help me.:smileysad:

hrym

It does sound rather like a fault in the phone.  Before sending it off for repair, it might be worth talking to HTC to see whether they can shed any light.   The also offer a repair service, which I've heard good reports of.

I do not believe that this is a handset problem. Here is why:

1) Received HTC A9 mid August (a week or so ago) on pay monthly

2) Set it up

3) Put Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64gb SD Card in

4) A few hours later checked and realised hadn't formatted the sd card

5) Chose "Format as internal storage" - nice touch I thought

*** NO WARNING ABOUT SD CARD BEING TOO SLOW! ***

6) When finished it migrated data dum te dum...

7) THEN system updates occured a day or so later

😎 Phone kept re-starting - up to 8 times a day

9) Vodafone said would replace handset - ultimately hasn't happened as no stock of Carbon Grey A9 now...

10) HTC Support suggested factory reset - my last resort as a PITA

11) I had already tried all the usual - boot to recovery mode > clear system cache > clear app cache yada yada

12) Yesterday, bit the bullet > full back up > 

hrym

I believe the "format as internal storage" option that's been added to Android recently is mainly for emerging markets where the base storage on the device is small.   For anything with a decent amount, it's best to use the card like an external drive (though you will find an "Android" folder there and it may put some data on it).   You can set the card as the default storage for some things: eg, camera, some music (usually within individual apps).   Note that only the system file manager can write to the card, not 3rd party ones.

The card should be formatted when you buy it and it shouldn't be necessary to format it again - I've just put a 64gb one in my M9.

It may be that apps that are expecting to write to internal memory time out too quickly unless you have a very fast sd card?

I agree - but for our often neglected UK market where, for example, the A9 is only available in 2gb RAM / 16gb ROM and with current OS taking up a fair chunk of the "internal storage" using an SD card for data storage becomes pretty much a necessity.

I'm not sure (as you mention M9) if you are aware that with the HTC One A9 you can ONLY move apps and data to the SD card if it has been "adopted [formatted] for internal storage" Ref: http://www.htc.com/uk/support/htc-one-a9/howto/680613.html

If the phone / OS downright refuses to format / adopt card as "internal / phone storage" it just isn't happening! As is in my case - even though using a SanDisk Extreme UHS U3 Class 10

Although SD cards are usually preformatted as FAT32 or ExFAT letting the phone format the card should ensure it is formatted and mounted as the resident OS expects to find it? And perhaps removes any "bloatware" factory written on the card...