Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
hi in the last 4 days I have used 800 mb of mobile data and I have been trying different settings to reduce data so I noticed before I got my last data allowance I stopped back ground data for Google play services yet in 4 days it has used 180 mb of data and the biggest chunk was on background now 180 mb might not sound a lot but over the month it adds up and I have made an effort to stay away from every thing Google no maps no voice. ok Google and have only synced once a day and only using Samsung internet has any body else noticed a jump in the amount of back ground data.I know it's always been there but nearly a gig a month is a big chunk of your allowance.has any one any solutions?I know my s5 that I was using previous to my 7 edge never used to chew that much and I didn't have as much control
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi.

My Google play store is showing 420mb of data use but that's because I update my apps via mobile data if I'm away from WiFi. 

Just my choice. 

A person can tweak an app to only be able to use WiFi for updating etc. 

A smartphone shouts out to be connected to data for all kinds of things nowadays.

Turning off Mobile Data while at home and not allowing the phone to auto switch from WiFi to mobile data can help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers

Hi.

My Google play store is showing 420mb of data use but that's because I update my apps via mobile data if I'm away from WiFi. 

Just my choice. 

A person can tweak an app to only be able to use WiFi for updating etc. 

A smartphone shouts out to be connected to data for all kinds of things nowadays.

Turning off Mobile Data while at home and not allowing the phone to auto switch from WiFi to mobile data can help. 

Current Phone  >

SKYMAN513
Thanks buddy yeah I thought it was probably necessary
how long did it take to use 420mb

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

From around the 28th of Feb to present day. 

Screenshot_20170320-124226.png

Current Phone  >

SKYMAN513
Appreciated Lee

hrym

Google Play Services isn't the same as Google Play Store, so this is something you need to keep an eye on.  It provides services to Google apps such as Maps (I had an update to that over the weekend and got a message saying it wouldn't run until I'd updated Play Services).

I've seen some Google apps have usage spikes over a few days - Android Account Manager being one, but not on that scale.

One thing that might be causing this is Maps updating offline areas - you have to dig a bit in the app settings to find it, but there's an option to turn it off.  If that's not it, check the other Google apps, even ones you don't normally use.

SKYMAN513
Thanks hrym I've only just noticed it's store and not services I've.started checking and your right about the account manager

hrym

It's easy to confuse the two, which is why I stepped in even though you'd marked Lee's answer as the solution.   If it is the store, yes, it looks like automatic updates.   Store used to have a simple toggle for that: on or off.  Now, it's nuanced so that you can have Off, On or WiFi only.  When I last set up a new phone, it was On by default (which I found out the hard way!)

SKYMAN513
Just an update
6 days Have passed now and i am already at 600MB and that's with background data disabled
And it is all on PLAY SERVICES and all on mobile data no WiFi whatsoever
I understand it will use some data but 600mb seems exessive
I don't understand why it gives you the option to disable background yet as no effect

hrym

If you Google "google play services excessive data usage", you'll see this isn't uncommon.   The thread on the androidauthority forum that comes up first for me seems to have a potential solution (note: I haven't tried it so can'ty recommend, I'm merely mentioning it).

The other possibility is that you've managed to download an offline map area and it's updating that.

As a matter of interest, if you turn off mobile data, does it stop, or transfer to wifi?