Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S6 not connecting to 4G, only H+

Cas_Harley
1: Seeker

I received my Samsung Galaxy S6 on the first day it was released by Vodafone, and was I under the impression that I had 4G, as thats what I'm paying for, and that the H+ which is displayed meant just that. I would have expected a flagship phone of this type to have had 4G.

I have just received an new A3 2016 phone from work, and this displays 4G on the screen. I have checked my Network Mode settings on my S6, and they only give me the option of LTE/3G/2G, no 4G option. I visited my local store, and they didn't have a clue about the settings, and just told me to back it up and restart it.

Is there anyone who could please tell me what other settings there are, which may require changing, that will have an effect on my phone receiving a 4G signal. I feel a bit put out given that I am only just finding this out after nearly 20months of a 24month contact.

4 REPLIES 4

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. LTE is 4G.

Have you tried texting WEB to 40127 to make sure the correct settings are on the phone.

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

As your phone is attaining h+ that would indicate to me the Apn Settings are ok. It is however worth double checking them. 

The s6 is 4G compliant. 

Lte is the term mostly used by places like America. 4G is our u.k variant. Some say Lte is slightly different. 

I use the ones from Geeksquad. 

'Tap the Menu button
Tap Settings
Tap Wireless and networks or More... (depending on your version of Android)
Tap Mobile Networks
Tap Access point names
Tap the Menu button
Tap New APN
Enter the following data into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings;
Name - Vodafone Internet
APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Password - web (PAYG - wap)
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS Port - 8799
Authentication type - PAP
APN type - If given a choice, select internet+mms, if the keyboard appears enter *
(As a check, the image below shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Tap the Menu button
Tap Save
Enable the newly-added APN by ensuring the line is ticked, or the radio button is lit by tapping on it
Check the notification bar for 4G, H, 3G, E or G with up and down arrows beside it, which will indicate your connection is working'

I personally use the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. 

Under Settings>Mobile Network>Network Mode..... I have showing Lte/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

Can you try your works SIM card in your Samsung s6 to see if 4G appears. And try your personal sim in your works phone. 

You may need a sim swap which any Vodafone store can do to replace your SIM card. 

Maybe be worth just having your account checked by Vodafone Customer services. 

If 4G still isn't showing then the phone is attempting to attach to the strongest signal it can see.

I would first speak with Samsung Online Support and or visit a Samsung Service Location just to have it checked out. 

Samsung U.K. Support.

Samsung Service Centre.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Can we just check that the A3 is getting 4G with the same SIM as the S6?   If so, then it's not a SIM or account issue, but, as has been said, the S6 should be getting 4G.   If it's not the same SIM & account, can you try the A3 SIM in it, just to see what happens.  If it then gets 4G, it looks like an account issue and the first thing to try would be a new SIM.  A Vodafone shop can give you one and activate it at the same time.   If that doesn't cure it, then speak to Customer Services and ask them the check that 4G is enabled on your account - it should be, but older accounts had to be upgraded (and this usually happens/ed when it's available in your area).

Mrme
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I work for Talkmobile - one of the subsidaries of Vodafone and saw this question as we are getting many customers ask about it. 

Now, whilst the answers here are quite informative: most of them are not actually correct, per se. 

H+ IS 4G, or atleast it is able to reach what is considered 4G speeds. 

LTE is NOT the American version of 4G, 4G being the UK version. LTE is as it is advertised: "super fast 4G connection" meaning it is top of the spectrum of 4G, whilst H is 3G, H+ is top of the spectrum 3G leading to mid spectrum 4G. 

LTE also mainly refers to internet speeds, whereas 2G and 3G are calls, texts and internet. 

with regards to what your phone is showing in the network mode: LTE is speeds of capable of up to 100Mbps on a mobile device, usualy you would get around 50 though, considering that H+ can reach 42 Mbps on the same device it would mean that you are just under the requirement for LTE, yet still well within 4G limits (above 6Mbps). 

On top of this, it is relative to what your phone picks up. Most Samsung (and other android users) will say H+ for instance, whereas most of the Iphones 6 and later models should say LTE. Some of the later models of the 5S and SE will say it too, but the earlier versions were brought out before LTE was available yet they could still reach speeds of 4G, so as a marketing tactic Apple put 4G on the network mode availability for the phones as they were able to reach such speeds ( i am not sure if those earlier models can reach LTE speeds now). They then had to update the 5C to make it able to get 4G.