Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S7 EDGE wifi calling, no option

Plasmaticfever
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just upgraded last week, i received the phone yesterday, brand new galaxy S7 edge. I have a pay monthly red value plan so i should have wifi calling enabled, and have been told by several advisors that i do have wifi calling and it IS enabled (from their end).

I've now spoken to 5 advisors, on phone and online, they all told me moreorless the same. They had "activated" it on their end....well how can you activate something more than once?

The PROBLEM is that there is no option in my phone to enable wifi calling, anywhere....ive restarted the damned thing 10 times now after being told "restart then go to settings...." sent the text saying "CALLING" to 97888 and received the reply. Its been over 24 hours since i recieved the reply from them, and still i have no option to enable it. Im at my wits end, somebody please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

Apologies for the problems you're all currently having with Wi-Fi Calling. 

As far as we're aware at the moment, the next software update will push through a fix for this. As @DaneB advised, we've fed it back and will update the thread when we have any further information. 

View solution in original position

121 REPLIES 121

I feel your pain rmrayner. I received my Galaxy S7 Edge yesterday after being promised by Vodafone that it supports Wi-Fi Calling just to find out that it doesn't. I've spent hours trawling through this forum to find that many other people have experienced the same problem. A couple of hours ago I spoke to 3 different Vodafone staff who told me they were completely unaware of this issue... so if anyone thinks that they are paying any attention to this forum (their customers) then they are not. Their solution was for me to give them another £70 for a Sure Signal.

The reason I replied directly to your post rmrayner is because this is not the fault of Android developers. Android 7 (aka Nougat) does support Wi-Fi Calling on this handset. I've seen it working on two other S7 Edge handsets on two of the other networks. However, the version of Android WE have been given has been tampered with by Vodafone first. That's why when we switched on our brand new phone it already has the Vodafone apps installed. Therefore, the fault is with Vodafone and not Google. I tried to explain this to an unsympathetic person at Vodafone earlier and he said that we would have to agree to disagree!!

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@prozac1976 You can find more information on Wi-Fi Calling here

This includes which devices and plans are eligible and how to switch it on in the settings. 

Thank you Alex. I had already followed the instructions in your link prior to calling today. Vodafone representatives have already told me today there is an issue regarding Wi-Fi calling with the latest firmware on this phone so why are you sending me to a link that does not help the situation? If you could explain that to me in some kind of detail that would help me and any other people looking for a solution that would be really helpful.

Just for the record, the instructions in your link are out of date for Android 7 on the Galaxy S7. These are the instructions provided but I can't see Phone after choosing Application:

• Go to Settings, scroll down and choose the Application icon
  • Choose Phone and scroll down until you see Wi-Fi Calling – select the box beside this option
  • A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm if you want to enable Wi-Fi Calling – tap OK

I had to go to Settings > Application > Menu > Show System Apps > And then Phone.....and Wi-Fi Calling still isn't there because Vodafone have cocked up the firmware.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@prozac1976

We've fed this back for you. We're currently waiting for a response.

Once we receive an update, we'll post on this thread for you and everyone else having WiFi calling issues.

Cant wait for a response to this one. I have tried everything and even live chat are no good as they use the out of date scripts for Marshmallow and not Nougat

I'm glad to see this thread is garnering more attention. I've basically all but given up with it as I have far too little patience to deal with the amount of incompetance vodafone is showing us.

I'm gonna give you guys a quick rundown of all the things I tried, which dont work:

1) Going Phone->"vertical dots"->Settings->(scroll down to bottom). 

2) Going Connections->More connections settings (not here either)->Advanced calling and messaging (nothing)

3) (For some reason accessing the phone settings via the applications menu) Settings->Applications->"vertical dots"->Show system apps->(scroll down to Phone, there are 3)->Tap the top one (280KB)->More settings->(scroll down to bottom). *NOTE - This is the exact same settings menu as number 1.*

4) Texting CALLING to 97888.

5) Using the MyVodafone app to turn off wi-fi calling, waiting and then re-enabling and waiting for confirmation.

The guide on the website to enable wifi calling does not correlate to the newest android system. Nougart (7) has different settings menus and different options, such that the guide on the vodafone website isnt possible to follow step-by-step. This is pretty unacceptable bearing in mind that Nougart has been out so long.

My issue is STILL not sorted, I have followed the steps from the private message one of the moderators sent, and my email recieved no reply. 

This is a vodafone issue, something on their firmware is not allowing this to work, surely someone must have a simple patch.

You need to activate correct APN settings.

Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks  - Access Points Names - ADD

Name - Contract WAP

APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy - not set

Port - Not set

Username - wap

Password - wap

Server - http://www.vodafone.co.uk?cid=VOD-HOM-001

MMSC  - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servelets/mms

MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12

MMS Port - 8799

MCC - 234

MNC - 15

Authentication Type  - PAP

APN - default

APN protocol - IPv4

APN roaming protocol- IPv4

Leave the remaining 4 settings as they are. Then press 3 dots and save the added APN

Then select the added APN and restart the phone. WI FI calling will appear once new APN embeds and gets registered. I did this on my phone after Factory Reset and Wi Fi calling option appeared afer about 40 minutes and when I go into APN settings the added APN is appearing as embedded thus if you click on it,  you can not change the settings apart from deleting it completely. Hope this helps

Stevie1
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

If your phones were supplied by Vodafone then I would have thought WiFi calling would have been enabled as standard as you should have all the Vodafone software already. As for myself my S7 edge is from CPW not Vodafone and l have WiFi calling enabled and working with android 7 without any problems. Once WiFi calling is set up and working and you have it enabled it will come on automatically when you don't have a strong signal. The only thing l can think of is there must be some kind of problem with the Vodafone software which is not allowing the WiFi calling features to work.

:robotmad:

I'm glad you replied Stevie, because it has cemented in my mind how utterly useless vodafone is. You got your S7 elsewhere, and you managed to enable wifi calling....this is despite the claims vodafone make that you must get your phone direct from them for wifi calling on their network to be available. This makes me incredibly angry, but I thank you for the information nonetheless.

The other way of doing this is asking Vodafone to send Configuration settings message for MMS and Browser . It is basically the same as the manual process I have described in a previous post but sent by network and once you receive them, simply press install and restart the phone . I had same  issues with A5 and S7 edge, it is all to do with correct config settings and not the firmware. Simple solution should be text WEB to 40127 and trigger config settings to be sent to you. But when I sent the text the reply was your phone is not capable of receiving automated settings please complete set up manually.