Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S7 EDGE wifi calling, no option

Plasmaticfever
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just upgraded last week, i received the phone yesterday, brand new galaxy S7 edge. I have a pay monthly red value plan so i should have wifi calling enabled, and have been told by several advisors that i do have wifi calling and it IS enabled (from their end).

I've now spoken to 5 advisors, on phone and online, they all told me moreorless the same. They had "activated" it on their end....well how can you activate something more than once?

The PROBLEM is that there is no option in my phone to enable wifi calling, anywhere....ive restarted the damned thing 10 times now after being told "restart then go to settings...." sent the text saying "CALLING" to 97888 and received the reply. Its been over 24 hours since i recieved the reply from them, and still i have no option to enable it. Im at my wits end, somebody please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

Apologies for the problems you're all currently having with Wi-Fi Calling. 

As far as we're aware at the moment, the next software update will push through a fix for this. As @DaneB advised, we've fed it back and will update the thread when we have any further information. 

View solution in original position

121 REPLIES 121

Yes its enabled

Same issue here folks. Got a new S7 from Amazon and Vodafone say they can't install Wifi calling as it wasn't purchased from them. I need a soloution if possible to stop me raging. One guy even claimed it was working when it isn't!

I had a chat with a guy at Samsung and (this is pure speculation) it seems that Android may have dropped WiFi Calling from the OS so that they can charge the networks to reintroduce it. Anyway, my contract has expired so I'll be moving to an MNO with decent coverage at my home address.

Out.

Derek

Hi Colleen,

Please could I request these wifi calling settings, which seem to be working for others, to my phone.

Regards

Craig

If you mean the method using Nova, they're earlier in this thread. 

Hi iainmann,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the approach suggested using another launcher does not work.

I can enable wifi calling using the option in the widget, it however doesn't stick and the next time the setting is viewed it is disabled again.

This reply was only intended as a guide for anyone else facing the same issue.

If anyone stumbles across this thread, that the steps to enable wifi calling seem to be:

1. Enable Wifi calling in My Vodafone or Send a txt to Vodafone "CALLING" to 97888

2. The phone wifi calling settings are automatically applied by Vodafone 

Reply from Vodafone support:

"Craig, I've checked everything from my side, I came to know that we are sending settings from here however your device is not accepting it and not creating the options for you to toggle the wi-fi calling.

We have worked upon thousands of such queries and successfully got wi-fi calling options installed.

For you, I need to send the details to back end team, this will be checked on server level and they will notify you once they work upon this.

Here is the reference number <reference removed>

This will take 24-48 hours."

and

"We have dedicated software wherein we just out the mobile number and device make and model and system initiates the settings.

Your APN is in place, you can check with below steps

its automatic settings not a physical one, it directly get options appeared on the phone."

At present though I am hoping Vodafone support work out where the problem lies, I will post any followup.

Regards

Craig

This is exactly what happened to me. But Vodafone in the end were unable to activate the setting. 

That's when I used the Nova thing and it worked. I'm really sorry it didn't work for you. I have no idea why it does for some and not for others. 

BTW, there are a lot of Galaxy owners on Vodafone who can't get WiFi Calling to work. 

So, this was quick, not however fixed by Vodafone I believe, after hours of waiting for Vodafone "server backend support" - as advised by multiple online advisors.

What I did:

1. Edited the CSC others.xml file to enable wifi calling - https://www.droidviews.com/how-to-enable-hidden-csc-features-on-samsung-galaxy-devices-with-root-acc... (*see below for what I did which deffered from this link).

2. Disabled WiFi calling in My Vodafone.

3. Rebooted phone - still didn't appear.

4. Sent txt CALLING to 97888.

5. Rebooted phone - still didn't appear.

6. Called 191, quoted "wifi calling" to be put through to someone who actually understands, after explaining they knew the exact process.

7. WiFi calling was re-activated on my account, I was advised to send a text message after 10 minutes to point 4. a

repeat of what I had tried.

6. 10 minutes later, before resending the txt or rebooting my phone I noticed that wifi calling was in the options screen.

Although I have enabled the option it is still not allowing me to make a WiFi call yet (tested by enabling airplane mode, and connecting to a wifi network). There may be a delay for it to work, I will wait 24 hours to test this.

I believe the step I took at point 1. allowed the settings to apply properly as after I made the change to the CSC, disabling wifi calling in My Vodafone and then sending a txt message to vodafone in step 4. I received a txt from Vodafone with further details on wifi calling (something which hadn't happen before).

Step 6. involved speaking to a nowledgeable person at Vodafone. so cannot be sure if this also had any influence.

*The step I took different in my case from the link above was to add the feature to the others.xml:

System > CSC > VOD > system > csc > others.xml, then add this line:

CSCFeature_Setting_SupportWifiCall>TRUE</CSCFeature_Setting_SupportWifiCall> save and exit, reboot the phone. The option may take a while to appear.

Note: the phone needs to be rooted to access system files.

If you need to speak with Vodafone My advice though would be to call 191 and quote wifi calling to be put through to someone who knows what they are doing, and does not just read from a script.

Still waiting for it to work but at least my phone is set up for it now.

Step 1. was an interesting discovery, manually adding entries to the others.xml file is a nice way of adding / removing functionality from the phone which is not available as standard, and is only an option to the provider.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry the options provided by @iainmann didn't help you @Craig26576. We'll be happy to look into this for you. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please contact us by following the instructions in this private message.

Mark,

Thank you for your reply, I am, however, losing the will to live, must have contacted Vodafone support numerous times now, and each time it has mostly resulted in the same reply.

So, the wifi calling option was enabled this afternoon in the phone settings, which (my fault entirely) disapeared after making further changes to the CSC file. I am assuming that I will need to go through the process of waiting for provisioning again.

I have contacted "support" and I'm currently waiting for the settings to apply, which I now have to wait 2 - 24 hours (the was the last advice given).

Regards

Craig