Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy note 4 problems

mancman
4: Newbie

Having done a recent software update my phone went haywire, freezing, unresponsive and turning itself off and on on its own. After spending nearly a day doing factory resets it's seems to be working almost like it should apart from sometimes it will turn itself off and back on and sometimes when it does this I have to take the battery out and start the phone back up I thought software updates where for the better 

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

How many factory resets have you completed @mancman ?

After a software update it can take a little while for the phone to index and settle. 

Also some apps may be still catching up and needs uodating to work properly with the new software.

Developers of the App can usually be contacted via the App to report potential bugs. 

A good troubleshooting practice is to put the phone in Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help to highlight if it's a rogue app that's causing the issues. 

If the phone works as it should then start downloading each app one by one to get to the one possibly causing issues. 

If required a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can run a diagnostic on it. 

You could also try an alternative official battery as it may not be the software update causing this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

My N4 is doing the same - main issue is that I can be using an app, or playing a game and the phone will freeze then go black and I have to take the battery out to be able to turn it back on again. I put it down to the phone, and battery, being old (upgrade later this month).

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym

It's possible that the update makes the firmware larger that it was before and that the device's resources are stretched.   Some questions and suggestions:

1. What is the total storage and how much do you have left?

2. Go into the Settings menu and then to Storage.  Tap on Cached Data and then Clear.   You won't lose anything, only temporary files.

3. Clear recent apps.

4. My older Sansung devices have a memory management widget.  If yours does, add it to a homescreen and use it to clear RAM.

Does that improve the situation?   If your storage is nearly full, consider removing any content or apps you no longer use, or can manage without.   Giving the device a bit more wiggle room can ease the logjam.   I also found that installing and using the Google launcher rather than the Samsung one rejuventated my very old Tab 2.  The TouchWiz launcher is very resource-heavy.