Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy s9 Blacklisted

carter67
1: Seeker

Hi I bought my partner a 2 month old Galaxy S9 just over a week from an individual.

Now today she noticed it was coming up emergency calls only, no network. She tried all the usual things like taking out the sim, trying another sim, redoing all the network settings right upto a factory reset. But with still the same result.

I'm now having the horrible feeling I've been ripped off, either blocked for not paying their bill(even tho they told me it was not a contract phone) or an insurance job saying its lost or stolen.

If I private message the phones details to admin can they do some sort of check for me to see whats going on please?

Cheers

Steven

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @carter67

You can check the phones status via Checkmend.com/uk.

If it shows as blocked then this is usually because the owner has reported the phone lost or stolen. 

This can be for an insurance claim and then the phone becomes the property of the insurance company. 

Sadly this happens. 

Networks tend to suspend outgoing services on a person's account who isn't paying their bills and seek payment via debt collection agencies and not actually block phones. 

Depending on how you purchased it would have an impact on how to resolve this. 

i. e if bought from an auction site then if possible raise a dispute. 

Paid for by Credit Card then the Card company may be able to help. 

If you met up with this person and they paid by cash and you don't know them then I'm afraid your stuck with a blocked phone. 

Vodafone UK would only be able to lift an imei block for the original owner. 

Unfortunately as you've found out a factory reset wouldn't remedy the issue. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi thanks for the info.

I run the test its been reported lost or stolen.

Can I now inform Vodafone of what their customer is upto. I know the person and their address I also paid cash for the phone, I think I should alsao go to police.

Nabs

I would go to the police, this may be classed as insurance fraud

Spoke to vodafone, Can't say too much as the guy was really forthcoming, I'll just say she's not getting her own way. Phoning the police again now to speak with the police vodafone liaison officer as Vodafone want to pursue it.

Thanks

BandOfBrothers

What an awful situation to be in.

I wish you a speedy positive outcome @carter67

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

beightonguru
6: Helper
6: Helper

I can't believe people actually do this type of thing, But as it sounds vodafone are taking it seriously. Hope you get it sorted :Smiling: