Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Genuine Vodafone App?

v19uk
3: Seeker

When I reboot my phone, I have 2 SIM Toolkit Apps, and when the SIM card is inserted and I select Vodafone as the network, one of the SIM Toolkit Apps changes it's name to Vodafone and has the following menu:

Screenshot_20190616-180245_SIM toolkit.jpg

Is it a genuine Vodafone App? The reason I ask is that I recently had a debit card cloned, and I'd entered all the details on my phone only a few days before and worried it may be a fake app and keylogging everything I enter.

13 REPLIES 13

v19uk

Screenshot_20190616-180245_SIM toolkit.jpg

Annoying that I keep adding the screenshot and it won't post it!

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @v19uk  your picture needs to be checked by Vodafone staff before it can be displayed. Once they have moderated it then we will all be able to see it. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @v19uk, thanks for getting in touch; it's always better to be safe than sorry.  SIM Toolkit is an application that comes as standard on different android devices, so it is a genuine app. 

Hi,

I'm not questioning the SIM Toolkit app in itself as I understand it is part of Android, but more that there is 2 installed and one manifests itself into an app called 'Vodafone' once the SIM card is inserted, and the 'Vodafone' app is full of links for all sorts, including Horoscopes+, Entertainment+, News&Weather+ etc

AnnS

Hi @v19uk 

This won't be the SIM toolkit application that is part of Android the link you have added is the SIM menu and this is Vodafone.

I though Vodafone had stopped these SIM menu messages long ago for Horoscopes, News and Weather, etc.  This would have enabled you to set up a Vodafone text alert and as far as I remember each text info alert was chargeable.

To have this menu on your SIM you have probably had your SIM for some time, the solution for you would be to go to a Vodafone Store for a replacement SIM and the new SIM should not have this SIM menu.

As you would not have used your card for the SIM menu, this would not be responsible for your card issue.  However, your bank should be able to help.

Well, thinking it was the SIM, I requested a new SIM last week (and the original was only about 9 months old anyway) and it's still there (even after both hard and soft factory resets).

It also must be on the brand new SIM as this app has also made it's way onto an old Galaxy S4 phone which I tried the new SIM in yesterday!

AnnS

Hi @v19uk

Try going into the SIM toolkit app and clearing data and cache.

I would gave thought your SIM would have been a lot older than 9 months to still have this menu. 

This is certainly going to need further looking into.  Definitely a strange one. 

Also, this 'Vodafone' app was never on my phone from new, but suddenly appeared last month.