Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gmail syncing and notifications.

lego999
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have a Galaxy S10 + and I'm having problems with my email. My Gmail only seems to sync when I open the app. I used to get email notifications almost instantly before but now nothing until I open the app and any new emails appear. To the best of my knowledge Gmail is set to sync automatically but still no joy. I have deleted my account and re-installed it. I've had a look on the web but not found any suggestions that work.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I sometimes have issues with my Note 10 and my btmail @lego999 

Sadly Bt don't offer up the option for my emails to be sent straightaway and only have a 15 minute interval that new emails are sent to me i.e fetch not push.

If your settings for your gmail i.e preferences are set as you want them via your phone and via any online version on a computer or tablet then please do delete the cache and data in the app via something similar to settings , apps, gmail , storage, clear data and cache and then delete the gmail app both from the phone and in your Playstore and my apps and then re download and re enter your email credentials.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @lego999 

Try these fixes from Android Authority and Google.

5 common Gmail issues and how to fix them 

Gmail app messages aren't syncing 

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/2399520?hl=en

Also the poster on the US Samsung Community thread on the link below was having a similar problem and this was due to having data saver mode turned on.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Note10/Gmail-sync-issue-on-Note10/td-p/936275

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Have tried everything suggested and nothing has worked. The only thing I can't do is to uninstall the gmail app and re-install it as apparently it can't be uninstalled.

hrym

That's true.  However, one of the ways of releasing log jams in Google apps is sometimes to clear their data.   Don't worry, it doesn't delete any personal data, but does effectively turn them off and back on again.   You'll need to re-enable any settings you've changed from default, but that's all.

Mine seemed to do this on my s10+, then the more I've been checking my email recently, the more they seem to be notifying me again. Which is really strange. Is it something to do with how much you use the app? 

Hi,

Not sure how or why but all of a sudden Gmail is syncing again and I get my emails immediately! It's been a few days since I tried all of the suggestions so it can't be something I've just changed. 

I'll just have to put iy down to one of those things that happen and you haven't a clue why!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

That's the way I look at things like that 😂 It happened and now it's not.. I'm glad your emails are working again anyways.

hrym

Occasionally, though thankfully not very often, Google will throw up availablilty issues.  We never know what they are, but they usually clear fairly quickly.