cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Assistant > Anyone received this new feature yet ?

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source : Pocket-Lint. 

Link : What-is-google-assistant-how-does-it-work-and-which-devices-offer-it

Google Assistant.

After trying out various assistants such as Cortana and Siri I found they could sometimes be a little hit and miss and I mostly used them for initiating a call, dictating a text and sending it or setting an alarm or creating a Reminder or Calendar entry. 

Looking forward to trying this one. 

Do you use these assistants for similar reasons ?

Do they come in handy in the car for hands free usage reasons ?

IMG_0947.JPG

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

47 REPLIES 47

63johnw
Not received it yet on my P9+ and still waiting for Vodafone to release Nougat too.

63johnw
Will give it a go once it arrives but probably just when I am in the house on my own as i would get some stick off my mates and colleagues if i start talking to my phone !😁

BandOfBrothers

@63johnw wrote:
Will give it a go once it arrives but probably just when I am in the house on my own as i would get some stick off my mates and colleagues if i start talking to my phone !😁

Hi @63johnw

Yeah I've experienced the same. :Smiling:

I Once had a little experiment where I and a colleague went about sending the same text. I used an assistant and they typed their text message. Bearing in mind this colleague was very fast at typing.

I won. 

That said being out and about I use my earphones.

I guess people just think I'm holding a telephone conversation.

Heck with the technology these assistants use it's almost like holding a conversation.

Scary !! :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Stevie1
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Do you no you can check for Google Assistant by pressing and holding your home screen button for a few seconds and if you're Google play services is up to date you may receive an update for Google Assistant.

:robotmad:

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Stevie1

Yes I do thank you. 

Been holding and hoping. Lol. 

Current Phone  >

Nabs

I use Google Voice Actions quite a lot... Apart from making it a bit more conversational rather than pure commands I don't see how this will change existing functionality... maybe I'm missing something..?

hrym

I'm inclined to agree with @Nabs.   What's the difference between Google Assistant and OK Google (which can also do things like make calls and send texts if you allow it)?   I have a vague memory of having read something about it and felt that it wanted to know just a bit too much about me.  FWIW, I have the search option buried under a long home key press, so it's not always on an listening.

I also agree with @63johnw that the world probably isn't quite ready for everyone talking to their tech yet!   (When it is, and we all are, are we going to have to lock our own devices to our own voices to avoid spurious results??)

Nabs

@hrym wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with @Nabs.   What's the difference between Google Assistant and OK Google (which can also do things like make calls and send texts if you allow it)?   I have a vague memory of having read something about it and felt that it wanted to know just a bit too much about me.  FWIW, I have the search option buried under a long home key press, so it's not always on an listening.

I also agree with @63johnw that the world probably isn't quite ready for everyone talking to their tech yet!   (When it is, and we all are, are we going to have to lock our own devices to our own voices to avoid spurious results??)

@hrym I have it set to only listen when the device is unlocked (no idea how I did it but that's how it works) and I primarily use it in my car which I have set up as a bluetooth smart lock device so my phone is always unlocked when i'm driving.

63johnw
I believe it's as @Nabs has said and a bit more conversational.