main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Android

Google Pay - Huawei P20 Pro

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have tried to set up Google Pay on the P20 Pro however the App will not let me make it default. Also, when going into the NFC settings and click under Tap & Pay, Google Pay isn't shown in the Default Payment Apps. I am able to add cards into the Google Pay app.

I have also tried using this in a number of stores over different days and nothing happens, the phone just beeps, and again, I am unable to click 'Make App Default'

I find Google Pay really useful so please any advice would be greatful. 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
16: Advanced member

I hadn't realised NFC sim cards were no longer supplied, just checked mine and it doesn't have the )))) symbol on it.

Maybe it was a clash between the phone and the SIM, but either way since changing the SIM it's worked fine.

Huawei P20 EML-L09, Android Version - 8.1.0

Last Update 20.11.18, 

Build- EML-L09 8.1.0.168(C432) GPU Turbo, VDF.GB 8.1.0.5(CT.F01)

Baseband- 21C20B369S003C000
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history:

Huawei P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac

View more options
39 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @MarkyMark2704

May I ask who supplied the phone to you ?

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi

I purchased it with Vodafone on Pay Monthly plan

View more options

Ok @MarkyMark2704

I was just checking if the phone was an import or had been supplied by independents such as Carphone Warehouse as some phones supplied have issues supporting features.

So if this phone was supplied directly via Vodafone UK if this was my situation I would suggest deleting your cards then the cache and data withon tbe apps storage location and then app and then the app via Play Store under my apps. 

Then re download and try again. 

View more options

Hello,

I did all the below instructions but still not working. Won't let me click 'Set as Default' and on the NFC settings under Tap and Pay the Google Pay app doesn't appear. The strange thing is, i have downloaded the Barclaycard app and the app is within that setting. I have deleted the Barclaycard app and nothing appears in the setting. Just unsure if there is something additional that Google Pay needs to operate? Just don't know why this isn't working as it worked fine on my previous Samsung Phone.

View more options

If the phone isn't rooted then it should be a simple set up. 

Unfortunately as I do not own that phone I cannot go through the set up screens myself. 

Setting up Android Pay etc should be a simple affair. 

Maybe a Vodafone High street Store can help ?

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your Google Pay set up @MarkyMark2704 and understand how frustrating this must be. 

You may be able to find more information on app compatibility here. Please let us know how you get on - it could also be worth getting in touch with Huawei here, to see if they can shed any light on this.

View more options

Hi,

Did you ever resolve your problem?  I appear to have a related issue.

I have a new Huawei P20 Pro and everything is fine except Google Pay does not work.  I ran a test app to verify NFC is working (which it is) but google pay does not react to any payment terminal.

I am wondering if you ever had this issue resolved?

Regards,

Paul

View more options

Hi,

I spoke to someone at Huawei and they said they are aware of the issue and to factory reset the device. 

Very annoying I know but I followed their instruction and Google Pay now works. 

View more options

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I did a factory reset last night, installed google pay again.  No luck, it does not seem to get recognised.  Very annoying.  Though whatever the problem is it also affects the BarclayCard app as well.

Regards,

Paul

View more options

@birchp1234 Have you tried contacting Huawei in regards to this quick fix failing? I can see TJ has attatched their contact details further up the thread. 

View more options

HI Paul,

That's weird as Barclaycard worked in the NFC menu but Google Pay wouldn't appear. The only other thing to try is to clear all the cache on the app before uninstalling the app. Then factory reseting the device? Deleting all the cards and then trying again.

In my case, I have no idea why it didn't work in the first place but then factory reseting the device seem to have sorted it out.

I did speak to someone at Huawei on chat through their website - however, did say that they knew about the issue and that was his only advice.

Hope that the issue is fixed soon!!

View more options

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.  I think I will reach out to Huawei and have a chat with them.  Don't really want to go through the whole factory reset bit again if I can help it!

Regards,

Paul

View more options

Did you get this sorted? Got the same issue as well.

View more options
SiR 2: Seeker

Same problem here. Except for me Google Pay has been working fine since I got the phone a couple of months ago, but it suddenly stopped working in the last few days!!! Really frustrating, no settings change makes any difference and factory reset is not an acceptable solution!  Sort it out Huawei!!!!

View more options

If Google Pay was working and has stopped, my immediate thought is that it's been caused by a firmware* update.   If you haven't knowingly installed one, could it be a security update that's installed in the background?  If Huawei say they know about it, they may be on it.  Equally, it might be worth having a look in the Security menu to see if anything stands out.  If Huawei are saying a factory reset is necessary, it may be (although helplines sometimes suggest that as a first resort anyway).   I agree that it's a pain and I'd always try as much as I could first.

* Or app, but this does seem to be Huawei-related

View more options

I've got a P20 (as opposed to P20 pro) but a similar thing has happened to me. I had to switch to GP after Vodafone Wallet was closed by VF. It worked fine for a few days, but in the last couple of days, in the same shops, nothing happens when I hold the phone to the terminal.

GP is showing as the default option under the Tap & Pay menu in NFC settings, and the app is on. Ive not updated the firmware since I had the phone so it's not that.

I've unistalled and reinstalled the app to see if that helps but I'd really rather avoid the hassle of a factory reset,,,, 

Last Update 20.11.18, 

My phone history:

Huawei P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac

View more options

When you hold the phone to the terminal, does anything appear on ether display?   I had a one-off issue recently and the terminal asked me to use one card only (card clash, although I only have one payment card on GP).   I did have a loyalty card in the GP wallet, but I don't think those are contactless and I have others that haven't caused a problem.

I also once had a total failure of Vodafone Pay and that was solved by a simple restart of the phone, suggesting an NFC issue.  You could try turning NFC off and on again - I'm not hopeful, but it's easy to do.

View more options

I reached out to Huawei support and they suggested clearing the cache and a clean re-install with the instructions below.  Unfortunately it did not solve the problem for myself (though it might help others) and they have sent this into their development team for research.

Bianca (Huawei Support)

Jun 11, 09:32 CEST

Dear Mr. Paul Birch,

Thank you for contacting Huawei Customer Care.

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing.

We recommend to try wiping the cache partition of the device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing will improve and solve issues. You can do this by: We advise you to wipe the cache partition from the Recovery menu by following the steps below:

1. Turn the device off completely.
 2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
 3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
 4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
 5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".
If the issue persists, we suggest you restore your device back to factory settings it might be due to a software glitch. You can back up your information to an SD card. To do so, simply go to the Settings menu, select All at the top and then find Backup & reset. The last option in the displayed menu will be Factory data reset. Select it, then press Reset phone at the bottom, and afterwards the following two options will appear: Backup and Reset Phone make sure you select the former. Select the information you want to backup then let the phone finish the backup. To restore the backed-up information, after the reset, find the Backup app on your home screen. From there you will be able to restore all the backed-up data.
View more options

If that reply was aimed at me @hyrm them no, nothing happens at all on either the phone or the device.

I've taken the advice of another poster and cleaned the cache and reinstalled the app and will see what happens later.

This happened to be, with a previous phone, some months ago which is why I started using VF wallet (without a single problem I might add) so these GP issues are frustrating.

Last Update 20.11.18, 

My phone history:

View more options