Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pay - Huawei P20 Pro

MarkyMark2704
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have tried to set up Google Pay on the P20 Pro however the App will not let me make it default. Also, when going into the NFC settings and click under Tap & Pay, Google Pay isn't shown in the Default Payment Apps. I am able to add cards into the Google Pay app.

I have also tried using this in a number of stores over different days and nothing happens, the phone just beeps, and again, I am unable to click 'Make App Default'

I find Google Pay really useful so please any advice would be greatful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I hadn't realised NFC sim cards were no longer supplied, just checked mine and it doesn't have the )))) symbol on it.

Maybe it was a clash between the phone and the SIM, but either way since changing the SIM it's worked fine.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

39 REPLIES 39

Hi,

I spoke to someone at Huawei and they said they are aware of the issue and to factory reset the device. 

Very annoying I know but I followed their instruction and Google Pay now works. 

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I did a factory reset last night, installed google pay again.  No luck, it does not seem to get recognised.  Very annoying.  Though whatever the problem is it also affects the BarclayCard app as well.

Regards,

Paul

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@birchp1234 Have you tried contacting Huawei in regards to this quick fix failing? I can see TJ has attatched their contact details further up the thread. 

HI Paul,

That's weird as Barclaycard worked in the NFC menu but Google Pay wouldn't appear. The only other thing to try is to clear all the cache on the app before uninstalling the app. Then factory reseting the device? Deleting all the cards and then trying again.

In my case, I have no idea why it didn't work in the first place but then factory reseting the device seem to have sorted it out.

I did speak to someone at Huawei on chat through their website - however, did say that they knew about the issue and that was his only advice.

Hope that the issue is fixed soon!!

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.  I think I will reach out to Huawei and have a chat with them.  Don't really want to go through the whole factory reset bit again if I can help it!

Regards,

Paul

Did you get this sorted? Got the same issue as well.

Same problem here. Except for me Google Pay has been working fine since I got the phone a couple of months ago, but it suddenly stopped working in the last few days!!! Really frustrating, no settings change makes any difference and factory reset is not an acceptable solution!  Sort it out Huawei!!!!

hrym
17: Community Champion

If Google Pay was working and has stopped, my immediate thought is that it's been caused by a firmware* update.   If you haven't knowingly installed one, could it be a security update that's installed in the background?  If Huawei say they know about it, they may be on it.  Equally, it might be worth having a look in the Security menu to see if anything stands out.  If Huawei are saying a factory reset is necessary, it may be (although helplines sometimes suggest that as a first resort anyway).   I agree that it's a pain and I'd always try as much as I could first.

* Or app, but this does seem to be Huawei-related

SimonWilding

I've got a P20 (as opposed to P20 pro) but a similar thing has happened to me. I had to switch to GP after Vodafone Wallet was closed by VF. It worked fine for a few days, but in the last couple of days, in the same shops, nothing happens when I hold the phone to the terminal.

GP is showing as the default option under the Tap & Pay menu in NFC settings, and the app is on. Ive not updated the firmware since I had the phone so it's not that.

I've unistalled and reinstalled the app to see if that helps but I'd really rather avoid the hassle of a factory reset,,,, 

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym

When you hold the phone to the terminal, does anything appear on ether display?   I had a one-off issue recently and the terminal asked me to use one card only (card clash, although I only have one payment card on GP).   I did have a loyalty card in the GP wallet, but I don't think those are contactless and I have others that haven't caused a problem.

I also once had a total failure of Vodafone Pay and that was solved by a simple restart of the phone, suggesting an NFC issue.  You could try turning NFC off and on again - I'm not hopeful, but it's easy to do.