Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pay - Huawei P20 Pro

MarkyMark2704
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have tried to set up Google Pay on the P20 Pro however the App will not let me make it default. Also, when going into the NFC settings and click under Tap & Pay, Google Pay isn't shown in the Default Payment Apps. I am able to add cards into the Google Pay app.

I have also tried using this in a number of stores over different days and nothing happens, the phone just beeps, and again, I am unable to click 'Make App Default'

I find Google Pay really useful so please any advice would be greatful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I hadn't realised NFC sim cards were no longer supplied, just checked mine and it doesn't have the )))) symbol on it.

Maybe it was a clash between the phone and the SIM, but either way since changing the SIM it's worked fine.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

39 REPLIES 39

SimonWilding

If that reply was aimed at me @hyrm them no, nothing happens at all on either the phone or the device.

I've taken the advice of another poster and cleaned the cache and reinstalled the app and will see what happens later.

This happened to be, with a previous phone, some months ago which is why I started using VF wallet (without a single problem I might add) so these GP issues are frustrating.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

It was (mainly), @SimonWilding, and thanks for confirming.  I've only been using Google Pay for a month or so, with only the one issue so far.

SimonWilding

Nope still didn't work. I can't see why an app will suddenly stopped working on a phone for no reason. This is why I stopped using GP on a different ohine a while back, it's useless

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Got it working but it's still intermittent so I suspect a bug with the phone.

I was signed up to the Google beta program so reverted that and reinstalled the non-beta Google Play Services.

I then called the bank again to authorise and it started working. However it didn't work on the first tap and took three to go through. Not ideal to be honest.

I reached out to Huawei support and they suggested clearing the cache and a clean re-install with the instructions below.  Unfortunately it did not solve the problem for myself (though it might help others) and they have sent this into their development team for research.

Bianca (Huawei Support)

Jun 11, 09:32 CEST

Dear Mr. Paul Birch,

Thank you for contacting Huawei Customer Care.

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing.

We recommend to try wiping the cache partition of the device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing will improve and solve issues. You can do this by: We advise you to wipe the cache partition from the Recovery menu by following the steps below:

1. Turn the device off completely.
 2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
 3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
 4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
 5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".
If the issue persists, we suggest you restore your device back to factory settings it might be due to a software glitch. You can back up your information to an SD card. To do so, simply go to the Settings menu, select All at the top and then find Backup & reset. The last option in the displayed menu will be Factory data reset. Select it, then press Reset phone at the bottom, and afterwards the following two options will appear: Backup and Reset Phone make sure you select the former. Select the information you want to backup then let the phone finish the backup. To restore the backed-up information, after the reset, find the Backup app on your home screen. From there you will be able to restore all the backed-up data.

Hello there :Smiling:

I am experiencing the exact same problem as you - NFC works fine with everything else, but touching my P20 Pro to pay using Google Pay does nothing at all.

Were you able to figure this out?

Many thanks !

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@evak2979 We're really sorry to hear you're having trouble using Google Pay with your P20 Pro. Have you tried all of the above recommendations by other users to get it up and running?

Along with changing the services - make sure you press the home button first before attempting it - sometimes an open app prevents it working correctly.

I've tried the following :

Wipe cache

hard factory reset

Google play services beta, and back to Google services

Uninstall/Reinstall

It's always on the default app when it comes to paying.

I've arranged to send the phone to Huawei to look into it and potentially repair it. I ran out of options :Sad_face: 

Try unibstalling the app, switching phone off, removing SIM, reinserting it and reinstalling the app.

I got a new NFC SIM from VF and it started working but I think it was taking the SIM out and putting it back in that worked. 

Try it, if no joy ask for a new NFC SIM and try that.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4