Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pay - Huawei P20 Pro

MarkyMark2704
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have tried to set up Google Pay on the P20 Pro however the App will not let me make it default. Also, when going into the NFC settings and click under Tap & Pay, Google Pay isn't shown in the Default Payment Apps. I am able to add cards into the Google Pay app.

I have also tried using this in a number of stores over different days and nothing happens, the phone just beeps, and again, I am unable to click 'Make App Default'

I find Google Pay really useful so please any advice would be greatful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I hadn't realised NFC sim cards were no longer supplied, just checked mine and it doesn't have the )))) symbol on it.

Maybe it was a clash between the phone and the SIM, but either way since changing the SIM it's worked fine.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

39 REPLIES 39

hrym
17: Community Champion

Just to clarify, Vodafone no longer supply NFC SIMs.  Those were required to work with Vodafone Wallet/Pay.   Whether @SimonWilding's issue was the phone not liking the NFC aspect, or the SIM itself simply failing, I'm not sure, but a swap would be easy and, I'd think, the first port of call.

It's also possible that, when Wallet was discontinued and the card details removed from the SIM, that may have led to corruption and the problem.

If you've never used Vodafone Wallet, then none of that applies, of course, but a SIM swap still wouldn't hurt.

Edited to add: I've also seen a suggestion on a Huawei forum to uninstall updates to Google Play Services as "the current version is not compatible with Google Pay".  That sounds like a load of rubbish for two reasons:
1. It works with my HTC.
2. Google wouldn't issue an update that made one of their own apps fail.
It sounds like a possible Huawei issue, but might be worth a try.   Trouble is, it'll update again unless you turn automatic updates off.

Thanks everyone for this.

I have tried most of the above including the Google services bit.

No avail. I will send the phone to them and have them sort it out and once they get back to me I will write here to let everyone know what the problem was to help future issues like this :Smiling:

Thanks again. 

Thank you :Smiling:

I suppose I could try that as a last resort before I send it off.

But would a sim only affect payment related NFC, or all NFC? Because NFC works fine for me otherwise.

SimonWilding

I hadn't realised NFC sim cards were no longer supplied, just checked mine and it doesn't have the )))) symbol on it.

Maybe it was a clash between the phone and the SIM, but either way since changing the SIM it's worked fine.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Hello Simon !

I am happy to report that the sim swap did the trick. I was able to use google pay again !

Not sure why would that affect anything, especially how the previous sim card worked fine with my Pixel XL 2 google pay but hey I am not complaining !

Tons and tons of thanks - I wouldn't have thought of this solution were it not for you :Smiling:

Excellent news! Glad to have helped.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

This is weird.   Taking @SimonWilding's case alone, I'd have said it was a one-off and a failing SIM.   However, two identical instances is too much of a coincidence.   Vodafone Wallet would work with a flat battery or the phone switched off.  I'm not sure whether Google Pay does, and whether it needs a connection in order to work.  It certainly does for me when I'm connected to wifi but not signed in (and other apps are therefore unable to connect).

Useful to know for anyone else with the same problem, though.

I truly don't know. 

My educated guess would be that old style nfc enabled sims conflict with some but not all phones. It worked fine with my Google Pixel 2 but not with my p20 pro. 

The new style sim cards work fine. Not sure if there is a structural or software difference between the two but my guess is its something along those lines. 

SimonWilding

GP does need the phone to be on and "awake" for it to work. VW's big selling point for me was the fact that it worked with no battery; it saved my skin on one occasion when I lost my wallet and phone was dead. GP can't do that.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

Yes, you need to wake it up (just unlocking the phone will do it), but it seems to manage without a data connection.