Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pay on Voda smart v8

keithmmorrison
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I cant get google pay to work on my phone and its driving me mad. Its supported by my bank, google pay is the default app, nfc and android beam are on. Does anyone haveany ideas what i am doing wrongor why its not working. Any advice would be much appreciated :Smiling:

12 REPLIES 12

hrym
17: Community Champion

I saw that on your other thread, @SimonWilding.   It's weird.   I don't think Google Pay uses the SIM at all, apart from for a data connection like anything else, and works with the phone's NFC chip.   I'm not even sure whether you need a SIM - has anyone tried in on (say) a tablet with just a wifi connection?

I believe, though, that there was an issue with Huawei at the start of the trade war, although I think this was resolved fairly quickly.

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I bow to your greater knowledge @hrym but I was always of the understanding that the NFC chip was in the SIM and not in the phone - when I got my last but one phone and needed a new, smaller SIM they gave me non NFC SIM [without the )))) symbol on it] and payment apps did not work then until they replaced it with a NFC enabled SIM.

That was the reason I thought about changing the SIM in this case, just in case the NFC functionality was not working.

Of course it could simply be that the act of removing and reinserting  the SIM did the trick and doing this with the original SIM might have also worked.

Whatever the reason, I'm just glad it does!

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym

I'm wary of claiming greater knowledge :Smiley_face_with_shades: but, in this case, I had the Vodafone Pay system explained to me.   Although the SIM it needed was called an NFC SIM, it didn't actually have the NFC, but did contain the secure element (as far as I remember) and was set up to communicate with the phone's NFC chip.   Google Pay, of course, needs none of that and just uses the onboard hardware.  I'm still using the NFC SIM in my HTC, but it's possible that there's something in the Huawei setup that doesn't like it and wants the vanilla variety.

I agree, who cares why or how it works, just that it does?