Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One (M7) backup

Link
5: Helper

Good morning,

I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on this please.

I had to reset my One last week as it kept crashing and freezing. I used the backup option before resetting (which is set to daily anyway but I still backed up before pressing the reset button). When the phone came back on, I logged back in to my HTC account but nothing was restored to my phone other than phone numbers. All my photos, videos (which have been backed up to cloud so I stil have them), apps, music, settings have all gone. Does the backup do this and if so how do I restore?

I don't think I did a factory reset as the software version when the phone loaded again was stil 4.4.2, just reset using settings. Phone is still a bit slow but loads better than it was, am I better off doing a factory reset to get rid of anything that may still be causing this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

After performing a factory reset your phone would usually still be on the latest firmware.

When I restored my HTC One M8, I at first entered the wrong account and a backup wasn't found. Could it be you're in the wrong account?

As far as I'm aware, the backup won't save any files on the phone, unless you specifically ask it to. This will mean that any data such as movies and/or music would be deleted.

Apps will usually be downloaded automatically based on what you've previously had on the phone, however it won't recover any information that was in the app e.g. any saved progress on a game.

Thanks,

Matt B

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

After performing a factory reset your phone would usually still be on the latest firmware.

When I restored my HTC One M8, I at first entered the wrong account and a backup wasn't found. Could it be you're in the wrong account?

As far as I'm aware, the backup won't save any files on the phone, unless you specifically ask it to. This will mean that any data such as movies and/or music would be deleted.

Apps will usually be downloaded automatically based on what you've previously had on the phone, however it won't recover any information that was in the app e.g. any saved progress on a game.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi Matt,

It appears I hadn't restored it from the correct account so after it had been done I couldn't then resore it. I've done another factory reset this morning and saved it to Dropbox and all the apps, WI-FI etc restored afterwards.

The phone still seems slow though and sometimes it can take up to 30 seconds for an app to close (mainly appears to be AVG). Just doesn't seem as quick as it was up until a week ago.

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

Please try unistalling AVG and then reinstall it.

This should hopefully help resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi Matt,

Thanks, I'll try that. It crashed again this morning before I uninstalled it and took ages before I could remove administration rights but it's off now and hopefully I'll see a difference.

Doesn't seem to be running as quickly still as it had until a week ago. When typing texts there's a delay, usually resulting in something illegible being typed. There's more space free now too as I lost all my photos and videos when I did the reset. It's frustrating as it was really quick and smooth before but is now laggy and freezes.

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

Please try a factory reset once more.

If the issue persists, we'll need to have a look at the phone. You can arrange a repair by following the instructions here.

Thanks,

Matt B

Done it about 4 times now Matt, I think the issue is this stupid communications app that's been forced on us. Ever since that update my phone is pretty much useless as it takes ages to do anything and keeps freezing, and reading other people's comments I'm not the only one.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link.

We'll be happy to take a closer look. Just follow the link Matt provided to get the ball rolling.

DaveCD

Hi Dave,

That's not really much use as I'm getting married in a couple of weeks so I need my mobile. I'll see how it goes, it's hit and miss at the moment, it was quick yesterday night (after restarting it again) but this morning I had to reset it again as it just wasn't doing anything. Seems to be worse when it's charging too, when you unplug the charger even the little LED light stays on for about 30 seconds