Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One S - Stuck in Airplane Mode when Turning on

GemmaT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a HTC One S and since the last software upgrade (Android 4.0.4, HTC Sense 4.1, Software Number 2.38.161.6) my phone constantly gets stuck in airplane mode whenever I turn it on. More specifically it is stuck 'turning off' airplane mode, i.e. this function is greyed out so I cannot try pressing the buttons to do it myself. I have to restart the phone for this to be fixed, which does work every time but is rather time consuming and annoying to do every day.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Are you aware of the bug? Do you have any solutions?

Thanks,

Gemma

33 REPLIES 33

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I would suggest Factory resetting the phone.

Backup all your Stuff as the phone will be wiped clean!

Here are two different ways to reset the phone. :smileywink:

Resetting HTC One S

If you’re passing HTC One S on to someone else or HTC One S has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can perform a factory reset (also called a hard reset).

Warning: Factory reset will permanently delete all your data and customized settings, and will remove any applications you’ve downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

Performing a factory reset from settings

1. Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap .
  2. Tap Storage > Factory data reset.
  3. Tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using hardware buttons

If you can’t turn HTC One S on or access settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on HTC One S.

1. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
  2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
  3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

dlorde
7: Helper
7: Helper

@GemmaT wrote:

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Are you aware of the bug? Do you have any solutions?

You're not the only one. Check out the HTC One S signal and rebooting woes thread.

For me, the solution is not to use Airplane Mode, but it seems to be a major bug in the latest release. Let us know if a factory reset clears the problem.

Thanks for your replies. I managed to fix the problem by removing the 'fast boot' setting in settings > power.

This morning when I turned the phone on, it worked without a problem. I will continue with this for the time being as I cannot be bothered to reset the phone and reinstall everything. I recommend trying this if you are also having an issue with airplane mode.

Thanks for your help.

@GemmaT wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I managed to fix the problem by removing the 'fast boot' setting in settings > power.

This morning when I turned the phone on, it worked without a problem. I will continue with this for the time being as I cannot be bothered to reset the phone and reinstall everything. I recommend trying this if you are also having an issue with airplane mode.

I have already disabled the 'fast boot' setting, but it doesn't stop the airplane mode problem if I leave the phone in airplane mode overnight. For short periods it seems to be OK. For me it's just an occasional problem at the moment.

Hi Gemma,

My mum is on her second HTC One S in 2 weeks due to the same problem! She going to change it again, probably for something else.

I believe it is a bug with Ice Cream sandwich.......I wonder why they rush to update and change a software which works very well (Gingerbread).

cjm1979
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

@Greggyg wrote:

Hi Gemma,

My mum is on her second HTC One S in 2 weeks due to the same problem! She going to change it again, probably for something else.

I believe it is a bug with Ice Cream sandwich.......I wonder why they rush to update and change a software which works very well (Gingerbread).

The One S was never on Gingerbread, it launched with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Thanks for your help.

i have a question that how we find fast boot option im htc m9 ? please reply me as soon as possible. if u replied to my whatsapp number i will be very thankful to u. my whatsapp [Removed]

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

Bronsi
4: Newbie

Gemma,

Same problem with my One S since the update I did on Monday (8/10/2012) morning.

HTC One S

Android Version 4.0.4

HTC Sense Version 4.1

Software Number 2.38.161.6

HTC SDK API Level 4.23

HTC Extension Version HTCExtension_403_1_GA_20

I have not used Airplane mode for months.

I don't have any pin or other security on turning on or waking the phone.

I have always switched it OFF when I go to bed.

I switch it ON when I get up in the morning.

Yesterday it took me a while (I don't function too well in the morning) to realise that the phone was showing no signal on the notifications bar but the WiFi was working fine so I wasn't bothered. When I realised it wasn't a local Vodafone fault (no people on Facebook moaning) I started playing with the phone.

On turning off it seems the phone gets stuck trying to switch OFF Airplane mode and stays this way when turning on. The Airplane mode toggle is greyed out and won't work under settings and the Airplane mode option is greyed out and unaccessible on the menu when pressing the power button. It also says there "Switching OFF Airplane mode......" (or very similar).

As I said earlier I've not used the Airplane mode for a long while.

Doing a "Restart" from the power button menu seems to clear it then.

So why isn't the phone doing a "Restart" from being off?

This would seem to be the question which needs answering.

During the restart it does flash a notice on the notification bar about "Removing" a "Restriction" (or similar) but it doesn't hang around to be read.

As for Factory resetting my phone, no way. An introduced software fault is causing this, an introduced software fault can remove it too - sharpish. I don't believe Factory resetting will fix my problem so I'm not going to waste half a day (at the very least) going through that.

I'll try removing the fast boot option and see what happens in the morning.

Bronsi.

Following from my earlier post.

Disbling the fast boot worked, it booted with everything working fine.

During the boot process it showed the same message I'd been getting on a restart which is:-
"Restricted access changed"

Anyone any ideas? If I get the chance some googling is in order I think.