Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One X - Signal Drop Out and Not Regained

GaWill
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have had a HTC One X for the past month, however this problem has been gradually getting worse.

Mainly in work but its also happened other places i can have a great signal and be on HSDPA or 3G, then i will move to somewhere such as the kitchen area in work and the signal will drop out. I will then return to my desk and put the phone in the exact place it was getting full signal and data connection but the Signal will not come back. I will get the No Signal message.

I have tried leaving the phone for over 30 mins but the signal doesnt come back and also looking for the network manually but it doesnt find it.

However, if i restart the phone the full signal and HSDPA/3G connection will come back.

Is this a fault with the phone or a strange network issue?

96 REPLIES 96

Hey guys,

Thanks for your information.

I've passed this to James to add to the investigation.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi.

Does this happen in all locations when signal is lost? Yes
What postcode does this happen in? NG1 6LP, Travel to NG8 2SD and during the time of travelling no signal ay all. Have to always switch phone one and off.
What software are you running? Just downloaded latest update 1.29.161.13
Do you have a Vodafone or an open market (unbranded) handset? Vodafone handset
Does this happen if you change the network settings to WCDMA Only? yes

Please resolve this.
Cheers

HI Guys,

Many thanks for all of the examples that you have provided with the requested information.

I have now been able to raise this with the additional information that has been provided and will update you once I have more information.

James

Count me in too, I have the same problem!

VF handset, does it in many locations but seems to be 2g weak signal areas especially at home WR12.

Software up to date, removed and cleaned Sim no improvement. Very annoying after the disappearing memory problem, feels like the One X it's not finished development yet! Starting to miss my Desire HD.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

HI Guys,

Thanks for your patience here.

We are currently in the process of getting this looked into with our tech leads and devices teams who will be liaising with the manufacturer directly.

At the moment we don’t have any further updates however, when we do we will let you know.

James

Hi, thought I'd wade in with my problems seeing as they are the same but I dont have the same locked handset

Handset: NON VODAFONE BRANDED, UNLOCKED

Software version: 1.29.401.11

Signal Loss: Multiple Postcodes.  Signal is awful, Internet manages Edge / GPRS internet at best, and phone signal often non existent.  Wifi loss intermittent but not as obvious.

Hope this assists.  I have been in touch with HTC who have offered to look at it, but they want my phone for over a week and 'may charge' if they feel nothing is up?!

I just want to add that I've had 4 HTC One X handsets now, two of which have had exactly this issue. The other two I didn't use long enough to find out.

The first one went back due to a faulty screen. (SH24 serial)
The second one started dropping mobile (not wifi) signal and would never reconnect until I restarted or went in/out airplane mode. (SH24 serial)
The third one had the 'volume down' button permanently pressed so I couldn't even get it to turn on properly straight out of the box!
The fourth one (my current one) has been fine up until the last couple of days whereupon it's started doing the same mobile signal dropping thing too. (HT24 serial)

All of these have been unbranded (sold by Phones4U) on a new Vodafone contract and have all been upgraded straight away to the latest 1.29.401.11 firmware.

I can't believe it a coincidence that I've had two handsets that both have exactly the same fault on them. Inbetween returning my handsets, I've used the sim card in another phone (HTC Desire with SIM adapter to make it fit) and had no signal dropout problems whatsoever, so that in theory rules out the sim card.

However, I have found a posting over on the XDA developers forum that implies there could be an issue with sim card connections on HT24 and HT25 handsets where the sim cards may not be quite thick enough to maintain a decent connection. No idea if this is correct, but it might be worth investigating.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1730131

EDIT: I'm going to try putting some sellotape on the back on my sim card to make it a little bit thicker and see if it makes a difference.

I have had this issue but it seems to have got better recently.  For reference putting the phone in to and out of "airplane" mode seems to get the signal back; there is no need to restart the phone.

Just as an experiment I've added 2 layers of sellotape to the back of my sim card. I've got some calipers so I measured the thickness of the original sim at 0.82mm. Each layer of sellotape added 0.04mm so it's now 0.90mm thick. I'll report back here if this makes a difference.

OK - this looks promising. I've found another thread on XDA forums where someone has done similar and put tape on the back of their sim card to make it thicker. So far, they're reporting that they've not had any signal loss since doing this...

Post #30 on page 3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1645057

Fingers crossed!