Solution

Huawei P40 Pro on Vodafone thoughts?

anobeithiol
8: Helper
8: Helper

I see Vodafone have annoucned the pre order for the Huawei P40 Pro

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/phones/pay-monthly-contracts/huawei/p40-pro 

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 14.00.52.png

Wondered what everyones thoughts are on the  upcoming release of the device on Vodafone?

Camera?

HMS v GMS?

No Google Play?

:Smart_Phone: :Smiley_face_with_shades:

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Looking pretty good to me.

One of the many YouTube videos available.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'm currenrtly testing one for Huawei :Thumbs_Up:

Ive done a few threads over the last few days. on the Huawei Community Forum if interested have a look.

Mt initial thoughts and unboxing

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/community/details/%5BHuawei-P40-Pro%5D-My-Initial-thoughts-and-unboxi... 

Zoom test Mate30Pro vs P40 Pro

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/community/details/%5BHuawei-P40-Pro%5D-Its-Zoom-battle-time!!-P40-Pro... 

IMG_20200326_101942.jpgIMG_20200326_093136.jpgIMG_20200326_093131.jpgIMG_20200326_093125.jpg

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I imagine there's going to be a lot of complaints once people get them, that despite knowing Google apps aren't on the phone, they will soon realise how most things won't work. People don't read warnings or think it affects them.

No google maps, no banking apps, no google music, no youtube app, no gmail, etc.

The camera looks great, but it's a lot of money for a camera that can make phone calls.

I would agree with your comments. Its a fantastic phone in terms of hardware, power and camera features. People really need to know what they are getting into. If you are heavily into the Google ecosystem it will cause issues. If not almost everyting can work.

The only two things that you cant get are most UK Banking Apps and any contactless payments. Interestingly if you are a Starling Bank customer then their newest app with all the fingerprint security etc. .works a treat.

As long as people know this and enjoy a bit of tinkering (which I love) it is a great phone. 

Hi @anobeithiol 

I enjoyed reading your initial thoughts on the phone.  :Smiling:

Was this a pre launched version of the phone i.e not a retail version we'll see people on the street using ?

How did you get on with the fact that Google services were not present ?

How was Huawei's App Gallery  ?

Can I ask I'm aware YouTube isn't on the phone as an app but can a person view YouTube via the phones browser as an alternative or something  similar ?

Current Phone  >

Thanks for the comments. I will update with some furrther articles in next few days.  In terms of the questions:

Phone is as close to retail version as you can get near a launch and is running New EMUI 10.1 with some great new features.

I have managed to get most apps I need either from App Gallery or via Aptoid, Amazon Android App Store or Apk Pure. 

If you are already a Huawei user then the PhoneClone app will pull most things across. 

You can run all Google services apart from Google PlayStore and Pay via web shortcuts. This includes maps with full drive features and also gmail. 

You tube works via the browser. There are some ways of installing the App but these are probably beyond the usual consumer. 

My only shortcoming are lack of Nat West Bank App and No NFC payments. I have everything else I need running. 

It really is a great phone. The camera is next level.

Thank you @anobeithiol 

It's great that there are options available and that YouTube can be used via the browser.

I think it's important to mention to others finding this thread  looking for support that side loading apps via apk files can present stability and security issues as these are obviously not from the sanctity of an app store.

I'm not in anyway criticising but just giving a friendly headsup.  :Winking_smiley:

I do look forward to your updates.

Stay Safe.

Current Phone  >

Indeed, I think for the average user, sideloading isn't recommended, and at the moment it would be hard to recommend this phone unless you have a second phone. Unless you are installing an app (like Starling Bank) from a known appstore, it could stop working at any moment leaving you unable to use it.

It's also another phone with eSIM with Vodafone not providing support for it, and locking a dual SIM phone is another reason to never buy from Vodafone. Hopefully OFCOM will be stopping this soon.

I do like the Pro+ though, but will likely settle for a OnePlus 8 unless Huawei sort out their issues with Trump.