Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei mate 20 Pro Green screen issue

Andypandy88
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there ,

I've picked up a Huawei Mate 20 Pro (on contract) a about a week ago and about two days ago I started noticing the green tint showing on the edges of the screen.

I've quickly learned that's an issue effecting some Mate 20 Pro's.

Whats the best way to deal with it? ?

Shall I go back to the store?? 

67 REPLIES 67

That is correct, very few have problems with the BOE screen.

Well he said that there's no issues with the phone, the phone does it "naturally".

I did some research and it seems that the effected model is LYA-L09, customers who received LYA-L29 looks not to be affected by the problem at all. 

From what else I could find online it seems three network  is replacing the effected LYA-L09 and giving customers LYA-L29  model instead. 

Both of my mate 20 Pros from Vodafone are LYA-L09.

I've received phone call from Huawei's service center today and the lady told me they're aware of the "green" issue and are replacing the devices  but because they don't have physical shop it has to be done via post. I was told I'll receive new device and they guarantee it'll be faultless device. Sadly it'll take 10-12 days for new device to arrive but first Huawei need to receive my faulty device.

I'm not giving up on Mate 20 Pro because it's a fantastic phone (it's only some % of devices that are effected by the green screen issue)

I know things like this can happen (Huawei isn't the only manufacturer who's devices has some issues) but I'm mainly disappointed with Vodafone's approach to the problem!

This is definitely my last contract with Vodafone - 12 years with Vodafone is enough.

I'd like to say thank you to MYSELF for sorting out the problem. 

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's entirely possible that Vodafone don't have the stock to provide replacements themselves - they may conceivably not even have the correct batch.   You're almost certainly best off dealing with Huawei direct as they're most likely to have stock (might be worth checking before you consign yours to the post) and not have the added delay of getting them to a 3rd party.

I have now had 3 replacement phones from Voadfone all affected with green screen.

They have now told me they can't help me any further and that I will need to contact Huawei directly to arrange a replacement. 

I have called Huawei this morning and they have agreed to a replacement but I will be left without a phone for 2 weeks. 

I have been a loyal Vodafone customer for 6+ years and have two contract and broadband with them and I can't believe this is how they are handling this situation. 

I tweeted them but no acknowledgement at all. https://twitter.com/apfordme/status/1065953463786446850 (feel free to re-tweet!)

Does anyone know if I send to Huawei and it takes two weeks this will most likely take me out of my 30 day cooling off period. Where does this leave me contractually?

I am waiting for my first replacement, they assured me that I will receive one with a BOE screen and not LG, as I have screen bleed. This sounds ominous - I presume you received yours on 26th Oct (UK release date) so I suggest getting written clarification that you want to return it before the 30 day cut-off period ....... but are prepared to wait IF the new phone works OK.  At the end of the day, you can always go to Trading Standards and make an official complaint against Vodafone if they start acting silly + unethical.

Great, so they replace my phone..... with the exactly the same model  (LYA-L09) that has green screen bleed issues ! I am slowly losing my hair + patience with Vodafone.

hrym

That was why I suggested going direct to Huawei.   It sounds as though Vodafone may have a stock of the affected model, whereas the manufacturer should have both.   It's also possible that it's only a batch of the model that's affected and that the ones with the fault have been eliminated.   (Huawei may be able to advise on that).

I hope it was just a batch. I phoned up Vodafone complaints department and they assured me that the new batch of the model are fine and that they will phone me in a week to check. If still green bleed issues they said I can return no questions asked - even though it's after the 30 day 'cut off' period. They also knocked off £45 i.e my first month's bill. I had to ask for that though... it pays to ask. The only problem is, last time it took two weeks for the screen to start bleeding!!

hrym

If you speak via online chat, always get a transcript.   If it's a phone call, make a note at the time of what was said (sign and date it).   You can go back to this if you have to - if you need to raise the issue again later.