Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei mate 20 Pro Green screen issue

Andypandy88
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there ,

I've picked up a Huawei Mate 20 Pro (on contract) a about a week ago and about two days ago I started noticing the green tint showing on the edges of the screen.

I've quickly learned that's an issue effecting some Mate 20 Pro's.

Whats the best way to deal with it? ?

Shall I go back to the store?? 

67 REPLIES 67

Both me and my partner have LG screens so are not best pleased right now either haha. Vodafone do have BOE screens in their stock. The stock is not seperated, rather luck of the draw unfortunately. Hope you get it sorted soon! 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

We're sorry to hear your having problems with your new phone @sparkyram and understand how frustrating this must be. Have you been in touch about getting the phone exchanged? 

You can do this by calling 191 from your Vodafone mobile. If you have any problems, please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. 

I've had a Mate20Pro since launch and it's slowly developed the green screen on both sides - mostly noticable in low light and on black/dark background screens. It#s not immediately noticable in normal daylight use - but I know it's there, and its faulty. 

I took it into a VF store to send away for repair.  (Speedy service I must admit) The guy in the store knew nothing of the green screen issue and I couldnt recreate it from the (now factory reset) other than show a picture of my screen. and google the problem. 

He tracked the repair faul as 'Display -Lines' which is not really the issue 

The tracked repair says 'no fault found - contact customer'.  So that means... VF will call me to say there's nothing wrong with it. I'll pick it up and the same issue will be there.  Should I contact Huawei? Is there an issue with warranty doing that? 

hrym
17: Community Champion

As far as I'm aware, this was a hardware issue, so it's odd that a reset would fix it.  If the repair shop couldn't replicate the fault, there's not really much they could do, but you can keep an eye on it and see if it recurs - your phone will be in warranty for the life of your contract.

It might also be worth contacting Huawei and see if they can offer any advice.

Ask for as replacement. Keep in mind that when you try and sell on your phone after your contract has ended people will check A. If it has an LG screen (rather than a BOE screen) B. That it does not have 'green screen bleed' issues. The people at VF you spoke to will be aware of the problem but have been told not to admit that there IS a problem. If you don't get a replacement then report to Trading Standards. Good luck.

hrym

In order to get a repair or a replacement, you'd need to be able to demonstrate that there's a problem.  If I understand the origial post correctly, a factory reset has solved the issue, at least temporarily and it isn't therefore curreently visible.  If it recurs, the matter can be visited again.

Just for clarity...I factory reset the phone before taking it to VF as I knew they would send it for repair, so I backed up and swapped the sim to another phone I had.  I don't know if the factory reset fixed the issue (I doubt it as its a known hardware issue) but in the store, and obviously at repair, they werent able to replicate the green screen. 

It was not a permanent green screen issue - that is, sometimes it was more prominent than others - and only showed in low light conditions.  I'll see whether it persists on return, then take it from there.  

It's a fantastic phone mired by a faulty, known hardware problem. 

Thx

If your phone has shown signs of 'Green Screen Bleed' issues then no factory reset etc will make any difference, the phone is faulty. If you are having problems getting your point across to your local VF store staff I suggest you contact VF complaints department. I had to get my phone replaced twice before I finally received a phone that actually worked as it was meant to (my present one has a BOE screen) Don't take 'no' as an answer. I didn't and eventually received compensation knocking £100's off my original 24 month contract. VF know full well that the phone has problems, but chose to ignore the issue rather than doing a full recall.  If you invest lots of money into a hi-end phone you shouldn't expect it to have ANY faults. As said, don't take 'no' for an answer. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice @Beastie. 

I'll pursue until I get the great device I bought. 

hrym

Can we be clear about whether the reset has helped with the problem or not?   If it has, you'll need to wait until it recurs so that you can demonstrate it and get a repair done.