Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei mate 20 Pro Green screen issue

Andypandy88
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there ,

I've picked up a Huawei Mate 20 Pro (on contract) a about a week ago and about two days ago I started noticing the green tint showing on the edges of the screen.

I've quickly learned that's an issue effecting some Mate 20 Pro's.

Whats the best way to deal with it? ?

Shall I go back to the store?? 

67 REPLIES 67

Very good idea, I made sure they texted me with a confirmation as was a phonecall.

DO NOT GO DIRECT TO HUAWEI IF YOU WANT WARRANTY

I have just got off the phone to Vodafone CS, Complaints dep. & Head Office. I called Huawei to arrange a direct with manufacturer replacement and they told me the process would take 2 - 3 weeks to process. 

Combined with the ~1-2 weeks it takes for the green screen to show due to the glue issue this would clearly take me out of the 30 day "cooling off period". So I rang Vodafone to ensure this would not be an issue if I still had a fault with the phone after Huawei repaired/replaced the phone. 

They have told me that whilst I am free to send my phone directly to Huawei it would void any Vodafone warranty for now or in the future. 

4 days ago this was their advice as they only had a fualty batch at the warehouse. After over an hour on the phone with various teams they confirmed that if you do a directy warranty replacement with the manufacuter you are on your own and your warrenty is void with them. 

Not left with much choice I have reluctantly agreed to have a 4th replacement phone sent to me from Vodafone. We'll see how this one goes but I don't hold out much hope. 

If I didn't want this "top-of-the-line" phone that I had waited for and pre-ordered I would have cancelled my contract by now. 

Vodafone support has been awful. Whilst the staff and people I have spoken to have all been friendly and tried their best the policies and prcoesses are outrageous. No one from Vodafone has reached out to me on either this forum, twitter or even just given me a call. I have had to call in everytime to get anything moved forward. 

O2 & Three have already resolved this issue and Three are even sending out the upgraded dual-sim versions FoC to affected customers to solve the issues immediatly and give an upgrade. Thats customer service @Vodafone!

Anyone else had a replacement phone in the last week thats OK?

hrym
17: Community Champion

I'll admit that I haven't come across that wrinkle before, but I can see how it might work.   We've often advised going to manufacturers before, either when Vodafone have refused a warranty repair or it would simply be quicker or more reliable.

This needs clarification, so I'll ask whether there's a policy in place.

If I was in your shoes (I maybe soon as my replacement phone is only a few days old) I would get an email guarantee off Vodafone that you want to still be covered by the '30 day cooling off period' and that they agree.

Also keep in mind that you are covered by 'Consumer Rights' and that so far you have been miss-sold a faulty product. In essence you potentially have been defrauded by Vodafone and you can take your case to Trading Standards. Let me assure you, you WILL win. I hope also you are compensated by Vodafone for the stress / hassle.... I reckon a couple of months FOC would suffice.

If you pay  hi-end prices you shouldn't expect low-end services.

Let's put this in to perspective, if Vodafone are knowingly selling phones that are faulty to entice people into a 24 month contract then that is, in effect, a crime.

I am hoping someone from Vodafone will read this thread and contact all of us effected. I am sure Watchdog would love to hear about this..... and the treatment meated out by Vodafone to their loyal customers.

Just what they don't need just before Christmas.

hrym

When a new device is launched, a large number appear on the market in a short time.   Any issues will therefore all show up together and it may look like a major problem even if the actual number is proportionally small.   There are faults with all devices all the time and you could argue that, knowing this, selling anything would be illegal because it will be known that there could be a problem.

If Huawei are aware that a whole batch or a particular model is at fault, they'll recall it.   That they do not appear to have suggests that problems are limited and random and that the only way forward is to replace specific examples as they appear.   This is normal.

I tototally understand that a small proportion of new phones may / will have a problem. It's the price you pay for being an 'early adopter' but this is clearly not a 'small proportion'. It does not take long looking on various websites to see that there is a major problem with the LG screen and not the BOE screen. To say that Huawei would recall it is frankly ludicrous, why would they want such bad publicity?

There is a chap on this thread that has returned the phone over 4 times because of green screen bleed issues, are you telling me that is just unfortunate? Other countries, such as Finland have accepted there is a major problem and are doing something about it.

Vodofone UK appear to be one of the recipients of a faulty batch and yet are still selling that batch, clearly. Knowing full well that it can takes weeks for the green bleed to appear, knowing full well that their customers are tied into their contract after 30days. Are you telling me this is morally and more importantly, legally right? 

https://androidcommunity.com/huawei-mate-20-pro-with-faulty-green-screen-can-be-replaced-20181105/

hrym

I said "proprtionally small".  It's more than likely that the entire batch is NOT affected and, of course, individual devices can't be identified other than by use.   Huawei will have advised about this and clearly have not recalled the entire batch.   Of course they'd do a recall if the issue was widespread - Samsung did when there was a major battery issue with the Note.   As I also said, issues with a new device will inevitably appear all at once, giving the whole thing more prominence that it would get during the normal life cycle of a model.   You will also find that internet searches magnify the number of instances to to cross-referencing over different platforms - I've found half a dozen or more relating to the same single report of something I was assured as "all over the internet".

I'm afraid you're never going to get a popular device taken off the market just because a few examples may be faulty.

This issue has me going mad. I'm on my 4th handset 3 of which had the green screen issue (LG screens) including my current handset and 1 BOE screen that had a line of stuck pixels right down the center of the screen. I got my current handset on Monday but by the Monday night I was on the phone again same green screen issue. Been told that I couldn't get another door to door exchange as it was past 30days even though I received the handset on Monday but was 30days from my first handset and I'd have to go into a store for an exchange to them be told by the staff that there is an order for a new handset and if have to wait 72 hours

You are either the unluckiest person alive or there is something that Vodafone is not admitting about this model / batch. I suggest you take this up with Vodafone's Ombudsman if you don't get this sorted by the Complaints Department.

Don't worry, you are not alone : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/phone/vodafone-make-customer-services-listen-complai...