Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei updates

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Given the news that Google have been forced by dictator trump to revoke Android licences to Huawei 

Link to article

Where does that leave updates for us now? 

If our devices are to become sitting ducks security wise (most of us are sensible and won't install malware but drive by attacks on the web happen) it's not like overlord trump's going to listen to us and say "go on little Paul. Have your updates I won't look" 

If anything does this mean Vodafone can accelerate the latest and possibly final patches we're allowed for our phones please?

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

27 REPLIES 27

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @hooker1uk  this only relates to the next versions of android and phones. Current versions will still be supported for apps and security patches. 

edit 

The only problem that that I can see is what happens to an existing device if the owner wants to download the next version of Android?? 

Can we put any message re Google's position with a huge caveat. Google are studying carefully the executive order and, given how Trump works, things may change ie things might improve for us with phones or get far, far worse. Who knows! Currently if you have a phone things don't change except we can't have the new version of android later in the year. We just have to currently sit tight and see how things play out unfortunately. 

Huawei have now released their own statement :-

"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.
Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.
We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally."

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_will_keep_providing_security_updates_and_aftersales_services_to_exis...

chris_cardiff
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

From what we know so far, old devices will still currently support app updates through Google's Play Store. However, Huawei devices won't be getting the next (Android Q) or any future OS upgrades.

Furthermore, most phone manufacturers are given details of security risks and software issues at least a month in advance. Allowing companies time to run tests and make sure there are no issues with their devices. As such, Huawei will now only receive the information the same day the public are informed of the vulnerabilities; meaning your device could possibly go weeks or months without the patch until Huawei has time to do their tests.

I am a P20 Pro user and my handset is less than 12months old (and part of 24 month contract). Not only is it frustrating knowing that my device is now 'at its peak' no longer being able to download any newer version of android, but the lack of up to date security is a major concern.

I implore Vodafone to offer their existing customers options to upgrade their handsets early.

All sales of Huawei phones should be stopped. Until this is sorted, who would want to buy a Huawei phone?

Agreed. I brought one online Sunday night literally hours before this all kicked off and it arrived today. I haven't even bothered opening it yet as unsure what to do. Could really do with some official statement/advice from Vodafone although I accept they probably don't really know what's going to happen either.

I'm just a bit unsure as don' want to pay charges to send it back (and I've really been looking forward to getting phone also ) only for it to not be as bad as first thought and then wish I'd kept the phone!

When you finally decide to take the leap and jump from apple to android and this happens 🤦🏼‍♀️

Apparently it's not only Google that this ban has a major effect. Huawei still source a large amount of tech from the US, like Apple and Samsung rely on each other. As such, sourcing important components for the device is potentially at a halt given no US company can trade with the company without governments concession. 

It still outstands me that Vodafone is yet to make an official statement. 

For those who bought a Huawei phone in the last 14days can return it no questions asked. Those within 30 days can argue they bought it for XYZ reasons, and that it no it longer offers reason Z. 

However, those of us stranded mid contract the future looks bleak. With a handset worth far less within 24hours, and unable to offer the full features we may have had originally opted to purchase for.

@chris_cardiff wrote:

Apparently it's not only Google that this ban has a major effect. Huawei still source a large amount of tech from the US, like Apple and Samsung rely on each other. As such, sourcing important components for the device is potentially at a halt given no US company can trade with the company without governments concession. 

It still outstands me that Vodafone is yet to make an official statement. 

For those who bought a Huawei phone in the last 14days can return it no questions asked. Those within 30 days can argue they bought it for XYZ reasons, and that it no it longer offers reason Z. 

However, those of us stranded mid contract the future looks bleak. With a handset worth far less within 24hours, and unable to offer the full features we may have had originally opted to purchase for.

Ive had mine for 40 days and was given the swift :Thumbs_Down: