Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei updates

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member

Given the news that Google have been forced by dictator trump to revoke Android licences to Huawei 

Link to article

Where does that leave updates for us now? 

If our devices are to become sitting ducks security wise (most of us are sensible and won't install malware but drive by attacks on the web happen) it's not like overlord trump's going to listen to us and say "go on little Paul. Have your updates I won't look" 

If anything does this mean Vodafone can accelerate the latest and possibly final patches we're allowed for our phones please?

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

27 REPLIES 27

jordanruby
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I just spoke to a Vodafone represenatative on live chat who informed me that the whole Huawei thing is completely "False News" Amzing news.....wonder if Google and Donald Trump know about this :Hmm_Face::-

Md: There is no such update to ban Huawei phones , you can continue to use as you've been using this.

Me: so the recent news is all false? Correct?

Md: Yes absolutely , this is false news , please ignore them. as we investigated already then updating our customers to use the phone as normal ,

Me: So I can announce to the world that google banning huawei updates is all false?

You would have thought this would have been in the news already if this isnt going to happen

Seems Vodafone's advisors have no idea what is going on. When I spoke to online support, I was told to take my phone in for repair?

For this reason Vodafone need to take action, or least make a statment where they (and their customers) stand.

In addition, Vodafone use Huawei technology in the core parts of European technology. Admitting fault or possible flaws with any of their devices could put them considerably back in the launch of 5G in comparison to their competitors.

@jordanruby wrote:

I just spoke to a Vodafone represenatative on live chat who informed me that the whole Huawei thing is completely "False News" Amzing news.....wonder if Google and Donald Trump know about thi

I also spoke to Vodafone live chat who stated that Huawei have a back up plan and we need to wait for updates. 

I've had my phone for about 45days and was told there's no plans to allow us to swap and if I wanted to then I'd have to pay or trade it in against a new handset (which I literally just did). Guess we gota wait until August now.

However, from what I've read, the app store being developed by Huawei will be like the amazon one which consists of essentially 3 apps. So yay. Lets hope they can pull something out the bag with the US! 

@chris_cardiff wrote:

Seems Vodafone's advisors have no idea what is going on. When I spoke to online support, I was told to take my phone in for repair?

For this reason Vodafone need to take action, or least make a statment where they (and their customers) stand.

In addition, Vodafone use Huawei technology in the core parts of European technology. Admitting fault or possible flaws with any of their devices could put them considerably back in the launch of 5G in comparison to their competitors.

@jordanruby wrote:

I just spoke to a Vodafone represenatative on live chat who informed me that the whole Huawei thing is completely "False News" Amzing news.....wonder if Google and Donald Trump know about thi

I spoke with the Tech Team first. They said that because I was a loyal customer they would exchange the phone in store despite me having it for 42 days. They couldnt tell me what phones I could change to so I contacted another department to ask what I was entitled to. They then told me I couldnt exchange phones afterall because I am 12 days over the 30 day cooling off period.....and anyhow its all false new and nothing is going to happen so there is no need to change

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Huawei might soon have their own app store, but it's google apps I want. I want gmail, google maps, etc. not some clone created by Huawei. If I was looking or a new phone now, I would be avoiding Huawei. 

@chistery wrote:

Huawei might soon have their own app store, but it's google apps I want. I want gmail, google maps, etc. not some clone created by Huawei. If I was looking or a new phone now, I would be avoiding Huawei.

I agree, and this also means we will be reyling on developer investing in creating apps for the new platform. Given the additional cost this would incur, including the additional patches and updates that would be required means its very likely we'll be left with little to no app content.

Given the limited 3month extention already recieved between Google and Huawei, this does not give developers much opportunity to supply these additional app versions.

In addition, I have disliked the mild personalisation Huawei has made on the Android OS stock from the offset (I even run an alternate launcher to hide those hideous icons and homescreen). I'm not sure I could handle an entire OS in the same vein. 

With the loss of these core functions this renders the phone not fit for the purpose people were advised would be features useable when they entered into the contracts. 

Vodafone's statement is currently vague

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Latest-news/Huawei-20-05-2019/td-p/2633290

But rightly so as this is a huge thing going on and not the blame of Vodafone. What winds me up is the us government accuse Huawei of spying when they've been installing spy tools in network infrastructure for years Source

The worse case with Huawei was they found a telnet diagnostic port in their gear that they thought they'd removed from a previous build. But seriously low risk in comparison. But they are banned

For now our devices will work and the Huawei app store is decent. I'm not too worried but I'll say this given the potential for things to go south.  But have faith in both Vodafone and Huawei for now

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

clearly people havent been reading the new os thats getting released

they nowhere near to finishing as it could be 2020 and it was made for china only so now they after edit it for global use but another issue is there be no google store

they after make there own which means they after ask developers to make new apps such as barclays etc to be added to there own software store which will be a big failure since amazon was a big mess fail and huawei are going same route 

but to be honest i think huawei know they stuffed and making excuses up to keep people buying huawei phones ive just sold my new honor 10 as i know prices are going to drop soon and be worth nothing

looks like there be no more sales of huawei since any newer models that get released wont have google

hooker1uk

Http://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comments/c40pzq/91_emui_annoys_me/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=...

While this means it's probably subject to testing and so on from within Vodafone HQ we have proof that Huawei are still updating devices through this Reddit thread. So hopefully not long to wait guys. 

Just be prepared for an interface rejigging

One quick question to Vodafone only if they can respond (I know the firmware statement too well) 

I do wonder why the security patches have been somewhat lacking though before the news of huawei's troubles but the last one was quite a while back. But is there a reason to this at all?