Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Latest s7 software update (7/6/2017)

ilsonlad1
4: Newbie

Hi all,

Yesterday (7th June2017)  I had a software update appear on my SM-G930F (s7 already running Nougat 7.0)

I'm not sure whether it's been tested by Vodafone or safe to download and install?

The new version (should i choose to install) is G930FXXU1DQEI/G930FVFG1DQE3/G930FXXU1DQD7 @ 349.40 MB

There are some horror stories on other forums about severe battery drain, messed up text problems with outgoing calls etc etc from users that have installed the "latest updates" and I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this? My s7 is locked to Vodafone. thank you

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi.

As long as the software update is showing in your phones own software update settings section it'll be ok to update. 

Usually on going through the process a pop-up type box it tells you what's involved. 

Be sure to create a back up first. 

If a phone glitches after an update I'd suggest to first power down the phone and go through the process to clear the system caches. 

And if you need to then create a back up and factory reset. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi, and thank you for your quick responce. Yes the update arrived on my s7 in the usual way through it's own software update settings section (i didnt realize there was another way of getting and installing updates)

I have read on quite a few forums that it's best to do a full factory reset after a software update but i've never bothered before?

Also, Do you know if there is a fix for the "keep screen turned off" feature which is'nt working on my s7

I don't know if was working before I upgraded to Nougat 7.0 as I hadn't tried it.

Thank you so much for your help so far :Smiling:

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

I also got the update and along with it was Wi-Fi calling at last.

But I have noticed my battery life is draining a little faster than it was before the update not a great deal but noticeable.

When you mention about your screen do you mean the setting were it says keep screen off when in your pocket.

Also could you tell me were you got the info about the battery drain please

Also when you say your device is locked to Vodafone if you are on contract and have paid 3 bills on time you can request a code to unlock your phone to any network.

I have noticed on the forum people have waited until there contract runs out before requesting it but they seem to have some difficulty unlocking there device especially if there contract has finished 

I applied for mine once my 3 months was up and got it in about 36 hours.

Even if your not going to use another network whilst with Vodafone at least it's done as it could be easily forgotten about 2 years down the line

I'm not sure about this but if you request after your contract ends there could also be an admin charge as you are no longer a Vodafone customer 

Sorry about the waffle but I thought it might of been usefull info 

Hi, I took the plunge and downloaded the update. I havent noticed any difference to my battery life so far (but i'll keep you posted about that) Can't see anything about wifi calling though? so could you tell me how to access that please? I've read horror stories about severe battery drain on different forums, an example is the GSM arena website forum. I have also seen a significant improvement in my battery life since I installed Package Disabler Pro from the playstore and disabled a lot of the bloatware that Samsung seem to want to inflict on us. For example i've disabled anything to do with VR and VR gear which has helped my battery significantly, in total I have disabled about 160 useless packages and my phone (although already smooth) is now running Mega smooth!

on a normal day if I am not constantly playing with my s7 or constantly lighting up the screen I'm getting around 24/26 hours from a single charge so I cant complain. Also i've learned to turn OFF WIFI and or Data when I dont need it and just turn it on every now and then to check messages and that has resulted in a big saving as far as battery power is concerned. It depends what people want from their phone, if they want to have all the bells and whistles running full blast then they can expect to see the battery level going down pretty quickly. I hope this helps you. Let me know how to access WIFi calling if you can (i dont even know what it is)

Cheers

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated @ilsonlad1 and glad to hear you've been able to increase your battery life with those steps :smileyhappy:

You can find out how to activate your Wi-Fi Calling here. Let us know if you need any further assistance and we'll be happy to help!

BandOfBrothers

Good to hear all is ok. 

In regards to Package Disabler Pro its important to note it's very important not to disable anything that may cause the phone to crash and become unstable. Rule of thumb for anyone coming across this thread is to leave anything alone your not sure of. 

Personally I do.not disable things that way and run my s8 will most things turned on.

Bixby is off as i use the new Google Assistant.

I get around 2-3 days before needing to top up the battery and consider my usage as a power user. 

My s8 is purchased direct from Samsung so no network bloatware is on it. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes I wasn't suggesting you would just start disabling things Willy Nilly and I'm assuming one would use a modicum of sense. However with package disabler pro if you do disable a package that causes a problem you can quite simply re-enable it again. It's helped my battery immensely and I wouldn't be without it :Smiling:

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Just thought I'd better update 

When I mentioned my battery was draining faster I should of realised after an update battery consumption does generally increase as the phone settles 

And it has improved at least back to how it was and my device is operating a lot better than it was.but that's probably different for every device.(usage patterns apps etc

Also the package disabler I looked into it myself and on further research if you haven't backed up as BANDOFBROTHERS mentioned you will not be able to update with future updates unless you first reinstall what you have uninstalled and it only takes one dodgy file or error and from what I have read on XDA only a reflash can cure 

Which for the sake of what you would gain sounds like an absolute nightmare and not worth  the risk Iespecially if you are not clued up on all this .there is a load of posts on that site were people have even totalled there device messing with the software 

Hi,  yes care should be taken when using Package Disabler Pro and before I downloaded and updated the latest software updates on to my s7  I backed up then re-enabled all my disabled packages (which is literally 1 touch of a button) then uninstalld PDP. Then once I'd installed the latest software update I re-installed PDP I just disabled (from back up) all the junk packages (again just one touch of a button) All the above sounds like a lot of hassle but it's literally all done in under a minute. Since I did all of the above last week I tested out my battery by fully charging it on Sunday 11th June @ 1:30pm. With average use and leaving it switched on constantly 24hs a day (taking a few videos,  playing a few videos, taking loads of pics, surfing the web every day, Skype,  and countless Phone calls)  I didn't have to charge it again til it ran out of charge this morning (Thursday 15th June) @ 8 30 am. To me that's unreal. HOWEVER if anyone is unsure AT ALL about using PDP then don't install it.