main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Little scratches on S8 screen

Winnieblade
2: Seeker

I got my upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S8 in early December 2017. By the new year i noticed a few tiny scratches on the screen. I got a screen cover but that has now fallen off. Since then a few more have appeared. I always check my pockets etc to make sure there is nothing else in there. Does anyone else have this issue. The scratches are all about 2 3rds up the screen. I thought Samsung had toughened glass on their phones.

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
torleik
4: Newbie

Hey Winnieblade!

Hope you are well!

I hope you dont mind me getting too scientific on this, but the Samsung Galaxy S8 has Corning Gorilla Glass 5, this will typically withstand a level 5 pick on the Mohs scale of hardness, then starts to scratch at a level 6.

So, if you check this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

Check the table for anything from a level 6 onwards, this could be a contributing factor to your scratched screen.

What you might notice is that their is a lot of materials used in jewellry from a level 6 onwards - could it possibly be this?

There are many different methods of removing surface scratches on phone glass when you search it on google - however I wouldn't specifically recommend any as I've not tried them myself.

Hope this helps! :Thumbs_Up:

View more options
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Winnieblade

What your possibly seeing is the marks in the olephobic coating applied to prevent fingerprints. 

This is wear and tear. 

I personally apply a Samsung official film type screen protector on my s8 and a dbrand Black Dragon Back Skin to stop.scratches there too. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options