Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MMS downloading

mtcsltd
6: Helper
6: Helper

I've received an MMS. it's supposed to contain a photo but instead shows a comment saying 'downloading', but it never completes downloading. It contains text saying the message size, and an expiry date.

Is there a reason why the download doesn't complete?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have been on holiday, hence delay.

I'm a business user. Apparently there are different MMS settings on the phone for consumer and business accounts.

MMS was not turned off in my account, it was enabled. It just wasn't configured right on my phone. A vodafone support person called me and gave me the following settings (NOTE: BUSINESS ACCOUNTS ONLY as far as I know)

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy: 212.183.137.012

Port: 8799

Username: wap

Password: wap

MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS proxy: 212.183.137.012

MMS port: 8799

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: PAP

These settings work fine for me on a business contract.

Perhaps some one with a consumer account can check to see if these settings differ from their settings. They are found in Settings/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names/, then press on the APN already in use on your phone to see the detailed APN settings.

Hope that helps anyone else in a similar situation.

View solution in original position

24 REPLIES 24

Hi caleach,

Thanks for your post here.

As you have confirmed that all of the settings are correct I would like to check the account for you.

So I can do this I have sent you a quick PM, please follow the instructions on the PM and one of the team will be able to look at this for you in more detail.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

I have been having problems receiving MMS messages for the past 3 or 4 months. I have a Galaxy S2 and despite using the settings supplied online, having an OTA update, manualy applying a text message update (which is not complete btw, as the authentication type, MCC and MNC settings are not specified which means you can't save it) etc. etc. and resetting my phone through every stage, I cannot received picture messages from  any device other than my own phone! The website has various support pages giving different settings, which are inconsistent from one another.

Belter this one as I have the MMS bundle and I have been paying for that for 19 months!! I used to be able to send and received MMS messages but then suddenly, late last year, that capability completely stopped!! I have no idea why! What is worse is I can't even use 'GetMyPhoto' as my number is considered invalid in whatever form I put it in (447123456789, +447123456789, 07123456789 and the stab in the dark of 7123456789 etc.) see attachment which is when I tried to retrive my 'password'!?!

Currently running Android 4.0.4, kernel 3.0.15-1056084. Phone is locked to network. I have had no end of problems with Vodafone, literally from day 1!! It has been a horrendous experience! 😞

I forgot to say, some setting allow me to get a failure message, other settings dont' download it, so it fails but says nothing!

Vodafone stink! 2 year contract has been an absolute, unequivocal rip off!

Hi EtharAlali,

It’s unusual that you suddenly lost the ability to send/receive MMS from other phones. I can help with the missing settings from the manual configuration you tried, they are:-

Authentication type: None

MCC setting:- 234

MNC setting:- 15

Just to be sure, here are the full instructions for setting up picture messaging on your phone:-

1. Find "Access Point Names"

• Press Applications.
  • Press Settings.
  • Press Wireless and network.
  • Press Mobile networks.
  • Press Access Point Names.

2. Create new data connection

• Press the Menu key.
  • Press New APN.

3. Enter data connection name

• Press Name.
  • Key in Vodafone MMS and press OK

4. Enter APN

• Press APN.
  • If you're on a pay monthly price plan:
  • Key in wap.vodafone.co.uk
  • If you're on a pay as you go price plan:
  • Key in pp.vodafone.co.uk
  • Press OK.

5. Enter username

• Press Username.
  • Key in wap and press OK.

6. Enter password

• Press Password.
  • Key in wap and press OK.

7. Enter picture messaging server

8. Enter IP address

• Press MMS proxy.
  • Key in 212.183.137.012 and press OK.

9. Enter port number

• Press MMS port.
  • Key in 8799 and press OK.

10. Enter country code

• Press MCC.
  • Key in 234 and press OK.

11. Enter network code

• Press MNC.
  • Key in 15 and press OK.

12. Select authentication type

• Press Authentication type.
  • Press None.

13. Select APN type

• Press APN type.
  • Press MMS.

14. Save data connection

• Press the Menu key.
  • Press Save.
  • Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

15. Find "Settings"

• Press Messaging.
  • Press the Menu key.
  • Press Settings.

16. Turn request for delivery reports on or off

• Press Delivery reports below Multimedia message (MMS) settings to turn the function on or off.
  • When the box next to the menu item is ticked (V), the function is turned on.

17. Select setting for picture message download in home network

• Press Auto-retrieve to turn on the function.

18. Select setting for picture message download when roaming

• Press Roaming auto-retrieve to turn the function on or off.

19. Exit

• Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

If you can give these settings a try and let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

As mentioned previously, I have had these settings via OTA, manual text message and via the web. The missing settings you gave are what were missing whcih I discovered on my 1st try of the manual settings send by text.

I have input the details again, they are exactly the same and it still fails. Makes no difference.  

I currently have 3 APN's set up.

• Contract WAP (I am a pay monthly user) which is an APN type covering MMS + Internet. I have tried this OTA and manual. This is selected and has the same settings as you've given. I have tried this as internet only with the new settings covering MMS in your new APN below but to no avail. Note, internet works fine.
  • Pay as you go (I don't use this)
  • Vodafone MMS which is an APN type with your setting in it. This doesn't have a radio button next to it to be selected.

I have tried Contract WAP only, deleted it and got the OTA via text, manually entered settings, tried with the Vodafone MMS + Internet setting the call centre gave me by text, Vodafone MMS settings you gave me (but I had before) and none of it works.

Has anyone else sorted this or even have the same problem? FYI, I have the 'Go Launcher' installed instead of the default android desktop, but I can'timagine that has anything to do with it!

Doesn't have anything to do with Go Launcher and my MMS is working, received a picture this morning. All the details Andrew has provided are what my settings are except:

Authentication type

PAP

APN type

internet + mms

Make sure your account is mms enabled by ringing Vodafone.

Good Morning EtharAlali, 

I think it's a good idea to check your account to make sure MMS is correctly provisioned. 

Please follow the instructions in the private message I've just sent you. Once we have your email a member of the team will be in touch.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Thanks, 

Kay

OK, I can go through this rigmerole again. I have asked several times whether it is provisioned for MMS and every time I get an emphatic yes. But I suppose I can go through that hoop one more time. What I don't get is why would I be able to send them but not receive them from any other phone/account apart from my own?

Hi EtharAlali,

Thanks for your post. This is something that we can address when we get in touch with you.

Thanks

Andrew

HI Andrew,

Nope. Still not working.

Regards

Ethar