Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MMS messages not working

rdlking
2: Seeker

Hello, Sorry this is going to be lengthy.. I recently moved onto vodafone from talkmobile, at the same time upgraded my phone to a Motorola G5. When I send messages (standard messaging app) containing photos, they send fine, and when someone sends me one it works fine.. I can see the photo in the message app. So like every other phone works.

However a few weeks later, I arranged for someone else in the family to move onto Vodafone (from talkmobile), a similar contract (pay monthly) but with a Vodafone  “smart N8” phone. Everything works okay except you can’t send a text message with a picture in it (MMS), you get an error message like “service not activated on network”. And when receiving a message with a picture in, rather than showing the picture you get a link to a website with a (difficult to remember) password. 

Of course these days you can send/receive pictures in different ways (whatsapp for example) but the user of the phone isn’t technically good and if she receives a message with a url and a password won’t be able to view the photo.

I’ve spent hours trying to get this fixed, without success. Initially thought there may be a “bar” on the account for picture messages, but there wasn’t.  

So I contacted Vodafone, fully expecting it would take a couple of minutes for them to sort it. But I’ve been on web chats and spoken on the phone for hours with various advisors, who have texted me new settings for the phone, then entered them manually. They have (supposedly) checked the account settings to make sure MMS is enabled. I have been told all sorts of different reasons why it won’t work, one of them said because it costs money to send mms messages, to which I replied why can’t it receive them as normal then?..  

In the end they gave up and asked me to take it to a Vodafone shop. The first shop I took it to installed a different messaging app (Vodafone version of the normal message app) which appeared to work when he showed it to me in the shop but when I got home I realised it wasn’t sending mms, it was sending it as data in a similar way to whatsapp, and it only works if the other person sending/receiving pictures has the same app. So when someone sends a photo using the normal mms method, a website link with a password is still shown.

So I called Vodafone again and after another very lengthy phone session they said to take it to another Vodafone shop. Who told me there was nothing they could do as it is a problem with the account settings and the shop doesn’t have the authority to change that. They said I needed to call Vodafone again and ask for the “retention department”. Which I did, resulting in another very lengthy conversation, and they told me they had done all they could and I needed to take it to a vodafone shop again as they had left instructions on the account to tell the shop technician how to fix it (I was assured it would “definitely” work).  

It didn’t work. The guy in the shop raised a “high priority” issue with the technical department, and it would “definitely" be fixed by 9am the next day, but if not to call the technical department. Guess what .. by 9pm the next day it still wasn’t working, and no one had contacted me. So I sent a complaint.  

It seems like no one is able to enable MMS on this phone/service, which seems crazy. One of the guys I spoke to said it was very complex to enable mms and it could be a “one in a million” error. Surely it can’t be that difficult? It's not like MMS is new technology. In the last conversation (after I’d raised a complaint) I was told that MMS wouldn’t work if the phone was connected to WiFi. Surely not the case.. my own phone works fine to send mms messages when wifi is enabled, and I’ve tried turning off wifi and mms still didn’t work. I told the advisor this and he just kept repeating that the technical department had said you can’t send MMS through wifi. And then credited £10 to the account and asked if that would make us happy.. to which I replied no, we want MMS to work!..

If anyone can tell me how to fix this that would be much appreciated, or should I give up on it?! .. thinking of cancelling this contract if possible and going to a different provider.. though it may seem a minor issue I don’t see why we should have to pay for a service that doesn’t work properly.

Thankyou.

19 REPLIES 19

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Ask Customer Services on 191 to provision the account for mms. 

Then as long as their is a good 3g data connection with mobile data turned on mms should be available. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @rdlking

MMS messages are sent over the network by connecting to the internet, you cannot send an MMS over WiFi. If mobile data turned off, MMS messages via the network cannot be sent or received.  However, it is possible to send MMS over WiFi by using an alternative application from the Play Store. 

MMS messages are charged at 55p per message, if you are going to be sending a lot of MMS messages, there is a bundle of 100 MMS for £2.50 available details below.

Vodafone Extras

Please see the links below for further help with MMS messages.

I can't send and receive picture messages

How do I send picture and video messages?

Thanks, I'm sure they would have already "provisioned" it for mms though, considering the amount of procedures they have been through.

As to wifi/mobile data.. I have tried with wifi off and mobile data on (can access websites) and the mms still fail to send. 

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@rdlking That's strange! I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been receiving with your MMS.

Have you set up your phone to receive picture messages? You can find more information on how to do this on our handy guide.

As @BandOfBrothers suggested, we'll need to make sure everything is set up on your account.

If you're still having trouble sending/ receiving MMS please check your private message inbox for more information on how to get in touch with our team.

ytrewq

I seem to have a very similar problem and vodafone have not been able to help at all.

I have a Moto G5 and moved from talktalk to vodafone

I cannot send or recieve mms images except as a link. When I get a picture message I get a link to  a vodafone website where i have to enter a password and my phone number. When I send mms pictures they arrive as a link (but no need to enter a password). 

I have followed the APN instructions on the vodafone site. I called vodafone and spoke several times to someone who tried hard to help but was unable to solve the problem at all.  This is very frustrating. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ytrewq We'll be happy to help you out with your MMS messaging 🙂

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with our team directly. 

Alex.. I've still not got my MMS working. if you could send me a private message with details of how to get in touch with someone who could fix this, that would be much appreciated. thankyou. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'll be happy to help resolve the issues you're having with picture messages @rdlking. I can see that @John has sent you a private message previously, however if you're unable to locate this I've sent another just in case :Smiling:

Junebug2406
1: Seeker

Hello.

I also moved from talk mobile to Vodafone on a monthly contract. I have now got a huawei p smart and can no longer send or receive mms messages since I upgraded. I took it to a Vodafone shop who were unable to help and I've phoned technical support twice and they have also been unable to help me. My apn settings are correct apparently. I have repeatedly been sent a message from Vodafone saying that they will send me my new settings by text but it never comes through. Please can you help.