Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Memory setup on Vodafone V8

simonmurray
4: Newbie

HELP... I have received a new busioness phone, the V8, and great it seems to be.

Anyway I purchased and inserted a new SD card to expand the memory.

Upon insertion i got two options (and it was over a week ago so bear with me):

to comibine memory or keep seprate (or somethig like that)

Which is recommended? This is the first I ahve seen this on Android (after having several)!

I chose the combine,  which implies to me that the phone is going to have its operating system everywhere, and create serious difficulty when I have to leave this phone.

Can anyone advcise better? All im interersted in is to save media onto SD card.

Rgds Simon

[Samung S8 & Vodafone V8 (business)]

9 REPLIES 9

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@simonmurray Are you able to manage storage in your device settings and choose where your files are saved? 🙂

Not sure!? Completel baffled and believe myself to very competent in android.

[And am meant to get alerts to repsonses here and didn't!]

Rgds Simon

hrym
17: Community Champion

Android now offers two options for additional storage.   The "included" one is known as "adopted storage" and treats the card as part of the main memory pool.   It's really intended for limited-storage devices sold in emerging markets, but it does also mean that you don't have to juggle with storage locations - you just save files and the device puts them wherever they'll fit.   Apps will also install there if necessary.   It has several disadvantages, though:

1) The card can only be used in the device it's set up for and can't be transferred to another device.

2) The card becomes part of general storage and will generally be slower than internal memory.

3)  If the card fails (and that's more likely than with internal memory), the device will lose quite a lot of functionality and it'll take quite a while to replicate the contents with a new card.

It's better to choose separate storage.  The card will behave like an external drive on a computer, although you can choose it as the default location for the camera (the camera may well offer you that option as soon as you open the app with a card in place).   You can also put other files, such as music, on the card, but you may have to move them manually.  The phone will comes with a File Manager app that can do this.   Only put files onto a card that you can easily replace due to the fact that cards can and do fail (it's happened to me).   If you get a new phone, you can transfer the card and all its contents will be available on the new device.

It's also a good idea to sync your photos with Google Drive or Dropbox so that you have a backup if anything goes wrong with the phone.  If you install the corresponding software on your pc, transferring files becomes very easy.

Cheers :Thumbs_Up:, and again this forum didn't alert me to responses here, and is set to do so. :Angry_Face:

How can i or the forums mods rectify this???

Thats all what i thought, and feared, and thus I have selected the incorrect option then! :Horror_Face:

How do I revert backwards??:Hmm_Face:

Rgds Simon

I think you will have to reformat the memory card, basically wiping it and resetting it. Then when you pu the card back in you will get the same options as before.

Make sure you back up anything you want to keep though

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym

If there is anything on the card, you'll be able to get it off as usual.   You won't of course, be able (afaik) to select the location, so it would be best to use a cloud service for temporary storage.  Once you've reformatted the card and got it going again, you'll be able to put your files where you want and the card will appear in the device and file managers as a separate location.

Note that you can only use the system file manager to copy/move files to an sd card due to Android security restrictions.  3rd party file managers won't work for this, although any apps which allow you to select their storage location will (subject to now being able to write outside their own area).

Danni
Community Manager (Retired)

@simonmurray wrote:

Cheers :Thumbs_Up:, and again this forum didn't alert me to responses here, and is set to do so. :Angry_Face:

How can i or the forums mods rectify this???

Hi @simonmurray

If you pop me a PM I'll be able to look into this for you. Can you also check they aren't dropping into your spam folders as a couple of email providers seem to have done this recently. 

Thanks, 

Danni

Community Manager

After that post it seems to have rectfied itself and has started to send me alerts :Winking_smiley:

Rgds Simon

Danni

Well if it does happen again you know where to find me :Smiling: