cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mini SD card not being recognised properly?

Stu_R
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

First time post here.

I've just bought a new Vodafone Smart V10 and am in the setting up stage. The main issue I have so far is that it's not properly recognising a new unused (Sandisk) mini SD card (64GB) I bought to use as extra internal storage. It only gives me the option to format as use for moving files between different units.

My previous phone (Vodafone Turbo) gave dual options of file transfer only or extra internal memory and gave me no problems.

Is this because it needs to be formatted to FAT32 (stipulated in the manual), or could there be another reason? 

I don't have the facility to reformat the card to FAT32 but if that is definitely the issue I'm happy to wait until branches reopen.

Thanks in anticipation - and stay safe!

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Stu_R 

I would try removing the Sd card to ensure it's seated correctly.

As a process of elimination can you try the Sd card in another phone just to check the Sd card isn't faulty.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the swift reply. Yeah, I already tried that with an identical card out of my old phone. It's the same, just asks if I want to use it solely for the transfer of files. The phone does recognise there's a card there, but no options as to how to format it. Putting the new card into my old phone does still give me the two options on my old phone, but not the new one.

BandOfBrothers

This is from the User Manual @Stu_R 

devices/smart v10/user_manual_english.pdf. 

Screenshot_20200524-054907_Drive.jpg

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Thanks, I've seen that, but as in my OP it only allows the SD to be used to load files onto to transfer between devices. It doesn't format the SD into separate folders, eg. A music file isn't recognised by the Music Player, a video won't play, an App won't work. All of which worked on my old Turbo phone - but that didn't stipulate s "FAT32" SD card.

BandOfBrothers

Ok @Stu_R 

I wish you all the best with trying to resolve this.

Hopefully further Google Searches will help.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Thanks, I do appreciate your trying to help.

As an illustration of my point I tried to put a screenshot on that last post to show the issue - it didn't link.

If no-one comes up with anything else I'm going to assume/hope it's just that the card needs to be formatted to FAT32 and wait for the branches to open to do so (if they can). I'm also assuming that a phone that's supposed to be an upgrade to a previous model can at least match it in all respects.

We'll see.

hrym

Bear with me as I'm not sure exactly whatyou're trying to do.

You refer to "internal storage", which sounds like Android's Adopted Storage, where a card becomes part of the device's main memory pool.   This is mainly intended for devices with little internal storage and can be turned off by the manufacturer as it has quite a few disadvantages.

Cards are otherwise used as External Storage, a bit like an external drive attached to a PC.   I have a 64gb one (SANDisk, I think), which I use for photos and music.   It's very convenient when I get a new device as it simply unplugs from one and goes into the other.   The gallery and music apps recognise it and show files stored there.   I also use a 3rd party file manager to maintain it.   Some things, such as downloads, need to be manually moved to it.

If the built in apps aren't recognising the card (which surprises me), I'd suggest trying 3rd party ones, and also a file manager to check whether that sees the card.

It would also be worth ejecting the card, cleaning the contacts (rub gently with a soft cloth) and re-inserting it.   Some devices can't read some cards, but a 64gb SANDisk one shouldn't be a problem.   I also think they're FAT32 - I've never had a problem.

Thanks for the reply. The phone does recognise that a new card has been added so I'm sure it's not the contacts. Unlike my old phone, also a Vodafone one, it doesn't give me an option to move files off the internal memory to the storage, it's just not there which I find strange. Seems to be a backward step to have to use another device to move files to SD.

If I put the old (and formatted) SD in the new phone it "sees" it, but still no option to save to it, or transfer files without using another device.

I phoned the 191 "Technical help" and she said it was something branch staff would know about but they didn't.

hrym

Some apps will save to the card and some won't.   The built-in file manager should show the card and allow you to move files to it.   If it doesn't, try a 3rd party one from the Play store.   I use File Manager+, which seems pretty good.

With the card in place, opne the camera app and see if there's an option to save photos to the card.  There normally is and that would confirm that it's being recognised OK.  I also use the Amazon Music app and that has a save-to-card option, too.