Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile handset with two phone numbers?

SteveHigh
4: Newbie

Hello

I have a new Vodafone mobile (VFD200) that came with a SIM card. The number was immemorable, so I ordered a free SIM from Vodafone whose number is much better.

However, when I WhatsApp (text) recipient A my mobile number that appears on her phone is the immemorable number and when she clicks on reply to that immemorable number I receive the text message.

In other words, though I have removed the immemorable SIM and replaced it with the better SIM number, the handset has 'remembered' the immemorable number that came with the phone so, in effect, my handset has two mobile numbers.

How can I disengage my handset, please, from that immemorable number completely so that it only recognises the new, better number?

Thank you.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @SteveHigh

I assume you are a Payg customer. 

When a person rings and texts you on your preffered number does the phone call and text come through, and visa versa when you send a text and call ?

If so then it could be that WhatsApp has your unwanted number somehow in its preference type settings. Have a look in there and amend. 

Also in a phones Contact section / Contacts app it can have something like a 'My Number' section where the previous number may still be showing. Delete that if so and Key in your preffered mobile number. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SteveHigh

I assume you are a Payg customer. 

When a person rings and texts you on your preffered number does the phone call and text come through, and visa versa when you send a text and call ?

If so then it could be that WhatsApp has your unwanted number somehow in its preference type settings. Have a look in there and amend. 

Also in a phones Contact section / Contacts app it can have something like a 'My Number' section where the previous number may still be showing. Delete that if so and Key in your preffered mobile number. 

Current Phone  >

I know this sounds a bit drastic but if run out of options.and your problems is still there make a back up and wipe cache partition with the number you want (you won't lose no data using this option )left in or maybe a full reset with the SIM  (number)you  want in

Its a bit drastic but might be the only way you can get your number to register like you want it too.

but as you probably know using the wipe  cache partition doesnt lose data but still might work I have had to do it a couple of times and the more experienced guys on here told me how to do it confidently so doing  it that way once you have tried all other options.

using wiping partition wipe you've nothing to lose when out of options obviously with a reset make a couple of back ups 

Always better safe than sorry 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, PAYG.

When she called me yesterday on my preferred number, my phone rang. When she rang me on the immemorable number that came with the phone, my phone didn't ring out.

Yes, from what you suggest, therefore, it seems that this is only a WhatsApp related problem.

I will have a play about with the settings to see if I can remove that old unwanted number.

Thanks again.

Steve

63johnw

Hi. Open WhatsApp and enter settings then account and there is an option to change number, this may help ?

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SteveHigh

Yes I agree it does sound like a preference thing. Possibly in the My number Settings in your Contacts App.

If you can't find the relevant settings then you could clear the cache and data part of the app itself via the phones app section and try again.

And or delete it from your phone and then go into PlayStore and delete it from there too in your My apps section and then re download it. 

Regarding the sim that came with the phone it will self disconnect permanently after 180 days of non usage. i.e making calls, texts or using data. As Credit isn't transferable between accounts you may want to use up any left on that sim before it's lost.

The same for any remaining allowances of texts , minutes which are lost after 30 days. Data rolls over for one month. 

Current Phone  >

That's great, Band of Brothers

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation and advice.

I will give all of those options a try.

Seve