Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Vodafone App shows old device name

BadgerParade
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

When I log into the My Vodafone web site, it correctly shows my device name as 'Galaxy S8'. There's also an option there to rename my devices.

On the app however (Android) it shows the name of a previous phone, 'My Galaxy Edge Plus'. In fact at the top it says 'Good morning My Galaxy Edge Plus' which is a bit weird.

I've reset the app and set it up from scratch but it still uses that name. I can't see an option in the app to rename the device either.

Anyone else had this? Not a big deal, just slightly irritating.

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion

The app can take surprisingly long to pick up new details.  That said, I've never seen one refer to the device - I either get the username or just the number.

AnnS

Hi @BadgerParade

I don't know if it will help.  However, if you go into your Google account through your gmail, you can delete and amend the phone you are using.

Also I am not sure if you mean the My Vodafone application where it does not mention the phone you are using or different Android application. 

So you guys don't have a device name on the app?20190111_173442.jpg

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @BadgerParade, I've checked the app on my own phone, and also a few colleagues phones.

I can only see the mobile numbers. I'm not entirely sure where it's picking up the name of your phone from.

I'll see if I can find out some more information on this.

Blair

hrym

@BadgerParade wrote:

So you guys don't have a device name on the app?

No, it picks up my details form (as far as I can see) Google.   I have two lines and the second one started displaying the name of the user after a while (previously, it was just the number).   I also don't get "Good afternoon", just the name, so this is either device-specific, or displayed of the screen is large enough to accomodate it.

Cracked it - yes, you're right it was picking it up from the Contacts on the phone. I had my number listed as 'My Galaxy Edge Plus' and when I changed it to 'Galaxy 8' it updated in the Vodafone App as well. 
Bit strange though, why would it get the info from there? It still says 'Good morning Galaxy 8' so I suppose I should edit the contact to my own name.
Thanks all

hrym

I don't know why it does it that way although, as I said, I have two lines on my account.   The fact that it works this way is handy as it shows both users even though the lines are technically in my name.  In the case of my second user, I'm not sure they have their own details in their contacts list, which is what leads me to suppose it's working form the Google profile - but maybe linking it to Contacts as well.