Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Vodafone app doesn't work following Nougat upgrade

aadshead
4: Newbie
I've just upgraded my Nexus 5X to Android 7 Nougat and since the upgrade I can't get the My Vodafone app to work.

I get a couple of seconds of splash screen then a page with a message saying "We're having a few technical difficulties at the moment. We're working hard to get things sorted." Underneath is a big 'retry' button.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting the app and uninstall/reinstall but none of these change anything.

Any similar experiences
81 REPLIES 81

hrym
17: Community Champion

Right.  Though if the phone was unbranded, you'd have been getting updates direct from Google, rather than via Vodafone.  It can be the downside to Nexus devices - that they get updates before all the app developers are ready.  Some take a long time to catch up, though Vodafone are normally pretty quick.

True. That said, it's pretty much the only app from the 200+ I have installed that isn't working.

There have been 5 developer previews spanning back months prior to the launch of Nougat. Plenty of time to ready things IMO, especially when it seems Vodafone have been actively developing/improving the app of late.

Having said that, I'm basing this on the experience of me and a couple of others. It could be it's working for some?

hrym

It's possible this isn't a Nougat issue at all, of course.   There have been reports of the app not working properly and it might be that.  I'm not sure what the solution is in these cases, but a reset of the online account might fix it.

Some apps aren't too bothered by the Android version - I've had a couple that have suddenly come up with Marshmallow compatibility in the last few weeks - and were working fine anyway.

Cp101
1: Seeker
First my nexus 6p got the android 7 update and the "my Vodafone" app stopped, then 2 weeks later my wife's nexus 5x got the update and the app stopped strait away.

I have done a factory reset, with no luck.

The support chat on the app does work and they confirmed it was a android 7 issue. No eta though :Sad_face:

hrym

You won't get an answer on when something's going to be available simply because there can be a planned date (actually, I'm sure there is), but things can go wrong and then people get frustrated.   However, once Vodafone start selling devices with N out of the box, and updating existing ones, an update will be available.   Probably not long now.

PW80805
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
They are so crap. There is no fix for app to work on 7.0 despite what the minions tell you. Too pathetic but heh, not work peace!!

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

And probably one of the reason that thye have not released for Vodafone Supplied Handsets.

Vodafone has usually released Software update several days after original release as they check that it works with Apps.

@Getafix wrote:

And probably one of the reason that thye have not released for Vodafone Supplied Handsets.

Let's be clear, both the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 6p were supplied directly from Vodafone, and both have since had Android 7 pushed to them.

Granted, the updates are pushed directly from Google, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the handsets were supplied by Voda.

If the Pixel phones sell well at Carphone then that'll be another group of customers in the same boat in a couple of week's time :smileysad:

hrym

I think Vodafone have been caught on the hop here.   The devices they sell are normally firmware-branded, so updates some from the network and can be controlled.   In this case (and it may be a Google stipulation), they're coming direct, which means you get them before anyone else.   This, as I said earlier in the thread, is a double-edged sword.

If you're going to BYOD, which is effectively what buying from CPW is, you get an unbranded handset, and the networks won't control update release.  The upside is that you'll go on getting them as long as the manufacturer releases them, even if the network doesn't.

@hrym wrote:

If you're going to BYOD, which is effectively what buying from CPW is, you get an unbranded handset...

If this is to be believed (source: reddit), then the Pixels aren't going to be isolated to CPW:

voda-chat.png