Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NFC won't work on Samsung Galaxy S5

ritchiehicks
4: Newbie

NFC won't work on my S5. I know it's my phone at fault, as my wife's S6 and sons Core Prime detect the NFC tag. I have the option switched on in settings.

I called Vodafone who sent me a new NFC SIM. Still doesn't work.

I reset my phone to factory setting. Still doesn't work.

Called Vodafone - after half an hour was give

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's been a long time since I opened this post but wanted to report the remedy for anyone who is searching for an answer to the problem: it was the battery.

I had purchased a cheap battery from China and it didn't have the NFC chip in it. A Genuine battery resolved the problem.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Extremely frustrating when something does not work when it should and all seems to be activated. 

Can you try your sim in another phone and hers in yours by sitting her nano sim into a SIM card adapter.  ?

I see they are escalating this to the Tech teams. 

In the interim if this was my situation I would also liaise with samsung uk support and or if local visit a Samsung Service Centre.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your response.

I have swapped the SIM as suggested - my sim on my wife's phone has NFC that works. My wife's SIM on my phone NFC doesn't work.

This leads me to think the issue is with either the hardware or firmware in my handset.

By that process of elimination I'd be inclined to agree. 

I'm wondering if it'll be beneficial to indeed speak also with Samsung Uk Support or in a Service Centre if local. 

Current Phone  >

Is it correct that the NFC chip is in the battery? If so perhaps I could replace it with an OEM battery?

@ritchiehicks wrote:

Is it correct that the NFC chip is in the battery? If so perhaps I could replace it with an OEM battery?

According to this link that's correct. 

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/octopuspayment/index_m.html

Current Phone  >

hrym

I'm coming late to this, so forgive me if this has been covered before.  It seems to me that there are two possibilities here:

1) The NFC chip is faulty

2) NFC payment isn't being set up correctly.

To test the first, can you see if you can communicate with something else  - maybe send a contact card to your wife's phone, and receive one from hers.  If that works, it's the payment setup.  If not, it's the hardware.

It's been a long time since I opened this post but wanted to report the remedy for anyone who is searching for an answer to the problem: it was the battery.

I had purchased a cheap battery from China and it didn't have the NFC chip in it. A Genuine battery resolved the problem.