main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Native Android II

SurferUK
2: Seeker

Sorry to come back with the same topic but looking at phones available under pay monthly I still think that the choice is very limited and does not cater very well for people using their phones for work (productivity). Recently an

Android Enterprise Recommended list was published and only few phones/brands are available through Vodafone. Why is it so?

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @SurferUK purley my personal opinion but Vodafone seem to have chosen a business model of going for the most popular mass selling handsets, Samsung S series, iphones etc. and as such arent stocking handsets that are going to sell to the mass market, just a business decision they have made. I doubt very much anyone from Vodafone will comment on that decision on any threads on here?

View more options
SurferUK

Thank you for the reply.

You might be right but pay as you go has a wider choice, so does not seem totally consistent with the argument. Also they don't only have Samsung and Apple, so I am not sure if the argument is valid. It is obviously a business but nothing wrong about litening to (some) customers, just ignoring them might not always be the best policy for the future, things can change quickly has we have seen in the past.

View more options
hrym

PAYG is a different market and it may well be that there's sufficient demand for what are actually very basic devices to justify stocking them.   Looking at the list, most of these aren't smartphones, so there's no OS suppport to consider.   Stocking a range comes with quite a lot of cost.   Apart from the purchasing infrastructure (stock control, investment in stock, supplier payment etc), the OS has to be tested and branded and then (ideally) kept up to date.   The bald fact is that Apple and Samsung dominate the smartphone market, especially at the upper end, with everything else occupying quite a small niche.  The cost of keeping one model in stock online and across a network of shops is considerable and requires a significant level of sales to be profitable.

Your thread title refers to Native Android and it'll be interesting to see what happens if this develops - it's more along the iPhone model of no manufacturer or network modifications so, in theory at least, would be easier to support from that point of view.

If you want wider choice you can, of course, go for an outright purchase.   If you do that, the device is unbranded and therefore only relies on the manufacturer for OS updates.

View more options
SurferUK

First thank you for your answer.

I am not a great fan of Apple or Samsung but there is no doubt about their market share! However the point is that Vodafone does not sell only Apple and Samsung phones. I am not sure that some of the other brands sold have a bigger market share than Nokia for example, however small it is compared to the big 2. I really believe there is a market for people who might be more interested in security or productivity and for whom native Android (e.g. Android One) is something important. Looking at the developpment of malware across the mobile phones I would probably suggest that it is something more and more people will consider.

As for the suggestion to get my mobile outside of the Vodafone shop, I wish I could, but the contract I have with Vodafone (monthli SIM only) does not allow me to...at least for now.

View more options
BandOfBrothers

@SurferUK

You can use your sim card in any phone that is unlocked to any network or already locked to Vodafone. 

Vodafone themselves dont care what phone you use your sim card in. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
hrym

You can put SIM in any phone you like - it's not restricted to devices Vodafone sells.  I'd stick to well-known brands as there are some rare incompatibilities with some of the smaller (often Chinese) ones, but most are safe.

I'm currently using an HTC that's not Vodafone branded and it's fine.   Carphone Warehouse (for instance) will sell you connections on several networks and all their devices are unbranded.

Nokia dominated the market for a long time, but got left behind with iOS and Android superceded Symbian.   They then went down the Windows route, which was a blind alley.   Their new Android devices have been well reviewed, but it'll take them a long time to regain market share, and they're really competing with HTC, LG etc.

Android One was indeed what I was referring to, and I believe Nokia have embraced it.

View more options