Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network Error when checking for OTA updates

kgretton
1: Seeker

I have a VFD710 and it never finds any software updates. This is after a fresh reboot - even reset to factory defaults and just connect to wifi.

I followed the instructions here: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Device-Guides/Basic-functions/Software-update/48672837/Update-phone-s...

to install Vodafone Software Update but I can't find the links referred to either. They don't exist now.

The phone is running Android 7.1 which is obviously old now and the phone is less than a year old.

4 REPLIES 4

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

That's a Vodafone Smart V8 isn't it? The same thing happened to my V8 a couple of months back, every time I searched for an OTA update I got a network error message.

I've since changed phones to a Huawei P20 and don't have the same issues so it's obviously a phone/firmware error and not a network error.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@kgretton Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We've received confirmation that unfortunately updates for our Smart devices have stopped. The Vodafone Smart V8 is manufactured by ZTE and since the US embargo, operations including their firmware over-the-air (FOTA) servers have stopped due to this.

We're currently waiting to see if the manufacturers will resume their normal operations. Should there be any changes, any announcements will show on our page or site.

SimonWilding

Hi Natasha,

that's a worrying development when it comes to security of our phones.

However according to this latest report it looks like this will soon be resolved....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-zte/zte-stock-surges-as-us-supplier-ban-lifted-th...

@Tash wrote:

@kgretton Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We've received confirmation that unfortunately updates for our Smart devices have stopped. The Vodafone Smart V8 is manufactured by ZTE and since the US embargo, operations including their firmware over-the-air (FOTA) servers have stopped due to this.

We're currently waiting to see if the manufacturers will resume their normal operations. Should there be any changes, any announcements will show on our page or site.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all,

We've recently had confirmation that ZTE have re-enabled their firmware over-the-air (FOTA) servers, so it does appear that this is now resolved and customers should be able to update as normal :Smiling: