Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No longer able to connect with Company wifi

johnm67
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've moved from an Samsung J5 on 3 ,  to a Samsung A10 on Vodaphone.   I can no longer connect with my company's wifi network  .  I'm getting a 'Failed to obtain IP address' message now,  not even getting to the password page.    I can still connect via my old phone  .   I've contacted my IT dept , and they say it must be phone/provider related  -   any ideas ?

7 REPLIES 7

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @johnm67 We wouldn't stop you accessing any WiFi connections, but if you'd like us to double check this issue's nothing to do with your Vodafone service, please pop us a message through Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to help you get reconnected 😊

Thanks Mark,  but I'm one of these dinosaurs that don't use Twitter or Facebook ! 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problem @johnm67 we'll still be able to help get you back online. You can give us a call on 191 between 8am and 9pm, or our Live Chat team are available 24/7.

hrym
17: Community Champion

TBH, I think the IT department are fobbing you off.   There should be no reason why the device won't connect and there may be a setting that needs to change.   Can you get them to look at the phone and see if they can connect it?

Do you use a VPN, by any chance?  Mine can get really tricksy with some wifi and I have to wrestle it into submission.

Thanks for the replies...   I've resorted to having 2 phones at my desk - my old android phone for internet connection ,  and my new one for tasking calls .  Not ideal , but a work around.   I tried all the steps AnnS suggested  here :- How to fix “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android    ,   except for the factory reset , but nothing worked  .    I'm loathe to go for the factory reset for fear of any other problems that may crop up.

hrym

A factory reset shouldn't cause additional problems, but it's a pain because you have to set everything up again (I'm sure you know to back up your content and remove the sd card if you have one), so I'd regard it as very much a last resort.  I'd still recommend talking to your IT department and asking them to look at the device and help you set it up.   There may be something in the advanced settings that needs a tweak and I'd hope they'll know what it is and where to look.

AnnS

Hi @johnm67 

This is going to be a phone issue. 

I have done some searching and this is a common problem with some Android phones.  This link from Andoid Authority offers some suggestions:  How to fix “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android