Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Just a update on my s4 ,I sent it to the samsung service center in Birmingham. I spoke to them yesterday and was told they received it on the 3rd september and has not been assigned to an engineer (9th September). I would have thought it should have been looked at by now.

Meanwhile for the last week I have been using my sim,with an adapter, in a galaxy s2. Everything has been fine.no loss of service at all. This tells me it must be the phone, just hope samsung dont just return it saying no faults found.

Could someone tell me where i stand if that is the case.

(my s4 was losing service and dropping calls 10-20 times a day.

Regards Darren

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
Pinning this down is not a easy one
1. If there was a major issue with the S4 then samsung would no about this
Have you spoke to them .?
2. Have you tried another network simm in as the phone is unlocked
this will rule out the phone
3. This could be Firmware
There could beca issue with the firmware that if its branded Vodafone need to sort
4. This could be a network issue were Vodafone transmitters can not lock on to the phone
the S3 had this and it was sorted

if there was a issue I'm sure Vodafone would act to sort this

Yes, spoke to Samsung who basically told me to return it to the reseller for replacement as "Dead on arrival", whcih it clearly is not.

I also tried a Three PAYG sim in this which was exactly the same. I then updated Android to 4.2.2 which made no difference at all.

New SIM card arrived today in the post so am going to try that later today.

Something which VF tech support advised was to set the phone to 2g only mode. I'm not keen on that as a fix since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart phone but I will try it to prove a point. The thing is, if it stops the error, what then? I'm restricted to 2G only I suppose, which is not acceptable.

hrym
17: Community Champion

Setting it to 2G only is no kind of long-term solution, but it would be helpful to know if it works.

Can you get a signal anywhere?   If not, it's rather pointing to a handset issue, but a new SIM may solve the problem.

OK, I think I've found the issue, well I hope so.

Set to 2G only Works fine. (GSM)

Set to 3G and 2G, also works fine. (WCDMA and GSM)

But, if set to "auto connect" (LTE/WCDMA/GSM) it gives this error message anout not being registered on the network.

Not sure what's going on there as I thought VF had no 4G out there yet, certainly outside maybe a few test areas anyway so the handset shouldn't be seeing any 4G signals which it would be able to use.

Tried a replacement SIM and it's exactly the same. Fine with the 4G bit disabled, otherwise gives the error.

General signal is OK where I live, not brilliant but useable and I also have a Sure Signal which works fine.

hrym

How very interesting.  If you find yourself in London (where there's 4G), it would be nice to know if auto connect works there.  I'd also assume that S4s ship with auto connect as the default, so I'm surprised this hasn't cropped up before - could it in fact be a fault?

It might also be worth re-registering with the network.  Go into Settings|Networks and select something other than Vodafone.   Give it a bit and then switch back.  Does auto connect work now?

jeffkinn
I'm in and out of 4G areas and it hasn't been a problem on my S4 at all

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi, mine is also resolvoed , i turned of the setting for LTE , and just set it to 3G/2G, phone now works fine.

Dont have a 4G contract so dont care about LTE anyway.

the error has stopped.

Thanks

Mark

Northern-dj

@dsolds wrote:

OK, I think I've found the issue, well I hope so.

Set to 2G only Works fine. (GSM)

Set to 3G and 2G, also works fine. (WCDMA and GSM)

But, if set to "auto connect" (LTE/WCDMA/GSM) it gives this error message anout not being registered on the network.

Not sure what's going on there as I thought VF had no 4G out there yet, certainly outside maybe a few test areas anyway so the handset shouldn't be seeing any 4G signals which it would be able to use.

Tried a replacement SIM and it's exactly the same. Fine with the 4G bit disabled, otherwise gives the error.

General signal is OK where I live, not brilliant but useable and I also have a Sure Signal which works fine.

Ok time to post now 

Samsung do no this error and there working on what it is as it is effecting Random Hansets 

And it does seem to be Handset in areas Near a 4G signal 

Now this may not Be Vodafone causing this yet 

All the S4 Handsets on 3G use 900MHz and 2100MHZ 900Mhz for indoors 

Now as you have found out the issue is with in the Auto switch that Automaticly finds the best signal 

Now its not but this should switch to 2G if 3G is not avalable.

Sorry For the Offshore tec anything over 2G can fox them 

You have found a work around that they had and they have told Networks for customers to Manualy Pic the 2G or 3G or 4G the reson for this is unclear but it seems that the auto switch is getting confused some how 

Now this seems to be mainly in London area

Now they have had reports of outside but they contacted them and told them to manualy pic 3G or 2G and it was fine 

Now you can get a switch widget that will help for Now

see eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=amel.android.apps.gshortcutwidget&hl=en-GB 

Samsing are looking into this so don't panic 

So to some up change Manualy to 2G or 3G or 4G if the phone works then a Firmware roll out and Networks helping Samsung will sort this If i find out anything more i will report back 

Oh Samsung have seen the threads and until they pin this down 

The phones affected Are the S4 S4 Active and S4 Mini 

This may delay the roll out of the Note 3 as well 

Now this has nothing to do with the 4G roll out it started before then.