cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving emails over 4G when WiFi works ok.

robertn
4: Newbie

My Moto G5 used to send and receive emails over 4G fine but stopped. All other internet connections are ok. I am using a POP3 account and K9 email app. I didn't do anything at first as I presumed it was an update that hadn't gone well and would be cleared up. This didn't happen so I re-installed the app and it still didn't collect via the 4G network. I then installed Blue Mail app and that has the same problem, which makes me think it is a setting on the phone. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This has happened to me twice and twice I managed to get it resolved - only after about 5 vodafone visits/chats I might add!  With mine it was a security thing that vodafone had out on my account which affects emails coming in. Basically stops them dead as I was receiving none.  Ask them if you have secure net on your account and if so to take it off.  The agent did this for me and immediately my emails started coming through on mobile data only/4G - no wifi.  The first time it happened I was told again that it was because of the security on the phone so it fixed it both times.  Hope that helps anyone with this problem as there seems to be many folks experiencing the same thing. 

View solution in original position

41 REPLIES 41

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I would have though receiving and sending emails isn't dependant on only 4G. 

As long as there's a data connection emails should work. 

That's how it works on my Samsung Galaxy s8 phone. I use an imap style account. 

Do you not recieve emails anywhere you visit. 

How frequent does your phone check your server for new emails. 

My btinternet.com imap email wont push emails to me so I have set mine to fetch them instead. 

Its certainly worth checking these types of settings too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the reply.

I would have thought that if WiFi works 4G would also work but it isn't the case with my phone. As I said it did work ok and then just stopped when I was away from a WiFi connection. 4G doen't collect or send any emails via K9 or Blue Mail. Blue mail and K9 check every 5 minutes which is in the settings on the apps.

Blue mail was a fresh install yesterday.

hrym

Can you send, or does the issue only affect incoming messages?  Can you connect to other sites on 4G?

I'm just wondering whether, for some reason,the server is being blocked for (probably spurious) security reasons, especially if other connections are OK.

Also, what email service are you using, and does it have its own dedicated app, which would have all the correct settings burned in?

Thanks for the reply. The problem with 4G is both sending and receiving emails.

Every other 4G function, gmail, logging onto websites is ok..

It is a company email address, which I collect at work using POP3 via Office Outlook 13, The company use a third party to look after emails.

I could understand the problem if it had never worked but it's worked ok for years.

hrym

I'd normally expect any OS incompatibilities to affect the app rather than the connection and the fact that you've tried two different ones tends to rule this out.   I also agree that the fact that it worked, and works on wifi, before points to a connection or server issue.

Hang on for the forum team, who'll be able to talk to you privately and get full details.  My suspicion is that the service provider's IPs have been blocked as potential spam points, but the team should be able to investigate this.  Mobile networks tend to react more sensitively to these reports.

If this is the case, you'd need to talk to the service provider if you're the owner, or to your employer if it's theirs.

Thanks.

I'll try that and talk to our IP company and post the result.

Please can you post the solution to this issue as I am experiencing the exact same and have received little in the way of a diagnosis from vodafone technical support.

I am in my car all day with no emails then as soon as I get home and connect to wifi I immediately receive all emails.

Some days it will work fine then half way through the day it stops connecting to the mail server.

Just started with me 3 /4 weeks ago. Previous to that a couple of years ago!

It is not the phone

It is not the mail app

It is not my email provide (changed in the last 2 weeks and the proiblem persists)

Definitely some issues with vodafone mobile data speaking with mail servers - security sesitive? 

thanks

A

Never really fully solved it. I got a new SIM from Vodafone which seemed to fix it but stopped intermittantly recieving ove 4G again after a few weeks. Now doesn't work at all. I've given up and enabled my BT Wi-Fi coverage.

AnnS

@robertn wrote:

Never really fully solved it. I got a new SIM from Vodafone which seemed to fix it but stopped intermittantly recieving ove 4G again after a few weeks. Now doesn't work at all. I've given up and enabled my BT Wi-Fi coverage.

Hi @robertn

That doesn't sound good.  You should have received a help reply from the Team by now, it must have slipped through the net.