cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving emails over 4G when WiFi works ok.

robertn
4: Newbie

My Moto G5 used to send and receive emails over 4G fine but stopped. All other internet connections are ok. I am using a POP3 account and K9 email app. I didn't do anything at first as I presumed it was an update that hadn't gone well and would be cleared up. This didn't happen so I re-installed the app and it still didn't collect via the 4G network. I then installed Blue Mail app and that has the same problem, which makes me think it is a setting on the phone. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This has happened to me twice and twice I managed to get it resolved - only after about 5 vodafone visits/chats I might add!  With mine it was a security thing that vodafone had out on my account which affects emails coming in. Basically stops them dead as I was receiving none.  Ask them if you have secure net on your account and if so to take it off.  The agent did this for me and immediately my emails started coming through on mobile data only/4G - no wifi.  The first time it happened I was told again that it was because of the security on the phone so it fixed it both times.  Hope that helps anyone with this problem as there seems to be many folks experiencing the same thing. 

View solution in original position

41 REPLIES 41

It seems to have fixed itself again in the last week. I've not changed anything but have started to receive over 4G again. Your guess etc?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robertn - I’m sorry we’d missed your previous post. Thanks for the update on it working again now.

I am also having the same issue. I can neither send or receive emails when not on my wi-fi network. On 4G I can access the internet but not emails. Any advice would be gratefully received

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting in touch @Griffjd, I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your emails and understand how frustrating this must be. What phone are you currently using? Have you recently changed your phone, or made any changes to your account? Have your emails ever worked correctly using your mobile data?

Pop back to me and let me know, I'll be happy to help in any way I can 👍 

Hi

Did you manage to resolve this problem? If so, how?  I have the same problem.  My email works fine on Wi-fi but not on Vodafone network.

Still not collecting on 4G. I've given up trying to fix it, just relying on wiFi.

I changed the security settings on both the incoming and outgoing servers to SSL / TSL and this seems to have worked.

Thanks for the suggestion. I glad it worked for you but does'nt work for me.

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

It's quite a strange one @robertn.

Sometimes people can have an issue with sending, but not both sending and receiving. There's nothing on our network that would stop you receiving an e-mail unless it's setup to use some weird, non standard port number, which is unllikely!

Sending on the other hand might not work when using the standard port 25 setup. and I can go into that if needed.

Can you try a different e-mail app to see what happens? 

Thanks for the reply Blair. I busy today but I'll try another app tomorrow.

Regards

Bob