main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Not receiving emails over 4G when WiFi works ok.

4: Newbie

My Moto G5 used to send and receive emails over 4G fine but stopped. All other internet connections are ok. I am using a POP3 account and K9 email app. I didn't do anything at first as I presumed it was an update that hadn't gone well and would be cleared up. This didn't happen so I re-installed the app and it still didn't collect via the 4G network. I then installed Blue Mail app and that has the same problem, which makes me think it is a setting on the phone. Any ideas?

View more options
39 REPLIES 39
17: Community Champion

I would have though receiving and sending emails isn't dependant on only 4G. 

As long as there's a data connection emails should work. 

That's how it works on my Samsung Galaxy s8 phone. I use an imap style account. 

Do you not recieve emails anywhere you visit. 

How frequent does your phone check your server for new emails. 

My btinternet.com imap email wont push emails to me so I have set mine to fetch them instead. 

Its certainly worth checking these types of settings too. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks for the reply.

I would have thought that if WiFi works 4G would also work but it isn't the case with my phone. As I said it did work ok and then just stopped when I was away from a WiFi connection. 4G doen't collect or send any emails via K9 or Blue Mail. Blue mail and K9 check every 5 minutes which is in the settings on the apps.

Blue mail was a fresh install yesterday.

View more options

Can you send, or does the issue only affect incoming messages?  Can you connect to other sites on 4G?

I'm just wondering whether, for some reason,the server is being blocked for (probably spurious) security reasons, especially if other connections are OK.

Also, what email service are you using, and does it have its own dedicated app, which would have all the correct settings burned in?

View more options

Thanks for the reply. The problem with 4G is both sending and receiving emails.

Every other 4G function, gmail, logging onto websites is ok..

It is a company email address, which I collect at work using POP3 via Office Outlook 13, The company use a third party to look after emails.

I could understand the problem if it had never worked but it's worked ok for years.

View more options

I'd normally expect any OS incompatibilities to affect the app rather than the connection and the fact that you've tried two different ones tends to rule this out.   I also agree that the fact that it worked, and works on wifi, before points to a connection or server issue.

Hang on for the forum team, who'll be able to talk to you privately and get full details.  My suspicion is that the service provider's IPs have been blocked as potential spam points, but the team should be able to investigate this.  Mobile networks tend to react more sensitively to these reports.

If this is the case, you'd need to talk to the service provider if you're the owner, or to your employer if it's theirs.

View more options

Thanks.

I'll try that and talk to our IP company and post the result.

View more options
AK8
1: Seeker

Please can you post the solution to this issue as I am experiencing the exact same and have received little in the way of a diagnosis from vodafone technical support.

I am in my car all day with no emails then as soon as I get home and connect to wifi I immediately receive all emails.

Some days it will work fine then half way through the day it stops connecting to the mail server.

Just started with me 3 /4 weeks ago. Previous to that a couple of years ago!

It is not the phone

It is not the mail app

It is not my email provide (changed in the last 2 weeks and the proiblem persists)

Definitely some issues with vodafone mobile data speaking with mail servers - security sesitive? 

thanks

A

View more options

Never really fully solved it. I got a new SIM from Vodafone which seemed to fix it but stopped intermittantly recieving ove 4G again after a few weeks. Now doesn't work at all. I've given up and enabled my BT Wi-Fi coverage.

View more options

@robertn wrote:

Never really fully solved it. I got a new SIM from Vodafone which seemed to fix it but stopped intermittantly recieving ove 4G again after a few weeks. Now doesn't work at all. I've given up and enabled my BT Wi-Fi coverage.

Hi @robertn

That doesn't sound good.  You should have received a help reply from the Team by now, it must have slipped through the net.

View more options

It seems to have fixed itself again in the last week. I've not changed anything but have started to receive over 4G again. Your guess etc?

View more options

@robertn - I’m sorry we’d missed your previous post. Thanks for the update on it working again now.

View more options
2: Seeker

I am also having the same issue. I can neither send or receive emails when not on my wi-fi network. On 4G I can access the internet but not emails. Any advice would be gratefully received

View more options

Thanks for getting in touch @Griffjd, I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your emails and understand how frustrating this must be. What phone are you currently using? Have you recently changed your phone, or made any changes to your account? Have your emails ever worked correctly using your mobile data?

Pop back to me and let me know, I'll be happy to help in any way I can 👍 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi

Did you manage to resolve this problem? If so, how?  I have the same problem.  My email works fine on Wi-fi but not on Vodafone network.

View more options

Still not collecting on 4G. I've given up trying to fix it, just relying on wiFi.

View more options

I changed the security settings on both the incoming and outgoing servers to SSL / TSL and this seems to have worked.

View more options

Thanks for the suggestion. I glad it worked for you but does'nt work for me.

View more options

It's quite a strange one @robertn.

Sometimes people can have an issue with sending, but not both sending and receiving. There's nothing on our network that would stop you receiving an e-mail unless it's setup to use some weird, non standard port number, which is unllikely!

Sending on the other hand might not work when using the standard port 25 setup. and I can go into that if needed.

Can you try a different e-mail app to see what happens? 

View more options

Thanks for the reply Blair. I busy today but I'll try another app tomorrow.

Regards

Bob

View more options