cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving emails over 4G when WiFi works ok.

robertn
4: Newbie

My Moto G5 used to send and receive emails over 4G fine but stopped. All other internet connections are ok. I am using a POP3 account and K9 email app. I didn't do anything at first as I presumed it was an update that hadn't gone well and would be cleared up. This didn't happen so I re-installed the app and it still didn't collect via the 4G network. I then installed Blue Mail app and that has the same problem, which makes me think it is a setting on the phone. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This has happened to me twice and twice I managed to get it resolved - only after about 5 vodafone visits/chats I might add!  With mine it was a security thing that vodafone had out on my account which affects emails coming in. Basically stops them dead as I was receiving none.  Ask them if you have secure net on your account and if so to take it off.  The agent did this for me and immediately my emails started coming through on mobile data only/4G - no wifi.  The first time it happened I was told again that it was because of the security on the phone so it fixed it both times.  Hope that helps anyone with this problem as there seems to be many folks experiencing the same thing. 

View solution in original position

41 REPLIES 41

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

You're welcome @robertn 🙂 Once you've managed to try this, please pop back to us and let us know how you've got on. 

Hi

I've tried Blue email which worked with the PAYG SIm but still no joy over 4G.

Bob

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@robertn It's unusual that this is ongoing and you're still unable to send and receive emails over 4G. Have you tried turning your 4G off and sending or receiving emails via your 3G connection? This will help us to identify if this is a standalone 4G issue or the mobile network as a whole.

As everything seems to be working with everything else whilst connected to 4G, it's still worth checking some of the basic internet settings.

Have you tried setting up a basic (non company) email account, such as hotmail? This will help us to understand if it's all emails, or only certain email accounts that are affected. 

Loz

Thanks for the reply . I can send but still can't receive. gmail & outlook both work fine over 4G.

Kind regards Bob

hrym
17: Community Champion

It sounds as though the service provider may be restricting mobile connections.  This is usually more likely to affect outgoing than incoming, but I think your best recourse is to contact the service and ask them whether this is the case.  As other services are OK, it would appear not to be a Vodafone/4G issue.  It would be worth trying what Loz suggested, though, just to rule out something very weird.

Thanks for the reply.

I did ask them and they were adamant that this was not the case. As I've said before it used to work but stopped and when I tried a Vodafone PAYG SIM in the Motorola One it worked straight away. I will try Loz suggestion and see if that works.

Kind regards

Bob

hrym

There was an assumption in an earlier reply that other data connections (ie web & apps) were working OK, but I can't see that confirmed.   Is it?  If so, then this appears to be confined to email and this device.  The only other suggestion I can come up with would be to refresh the APN by texting WEB to 40127 (although a fault with that ought to affect all data connections).

That is the what is happeining, everthing else works with WiFi and 4G. I'll try and see if this makes any difference.

Hi All

I ahve been having the exact problem, after phones calls to VF and resetting Iphone 7 wiping reinstalling I found one thing thats seems to work - Switch OFF 4G and phone reverts to 3G and voila all emails send and recievce without any changes or fuss - this to me seems to be a 4G issue and I think its getting incorrect IP addresses that are either being blocked or are not reconised by the emial servers. hope this helps.

hrym

If 4G is using different IP addresses and your email service is operating by whitelist, that might be possible.   They may need to add the relevant IP addresses to their list.