Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Note 8 WiFi Calling

ahep
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

After waiting weeks for Wifi Calling to be activated on my S8+, I now feel that history is repeating itself with the Note 8.

WiFi Calling is not an option 'out of the box', texting CALLING to 97888 does nothing, all vodafone customer services can tell me is that the service has been activated and are honestly as much use as a chocolate teapot; the inconsistency in information is beyond a joke.

I can't be the only person having this problem.  I have literally no signal at home and little at work, so wifi calling is a must.

Vodafone, is there a time frame for this service to be activated? Seriously unimpressed having paid £200 upfront and £60+ a month on a 24 month contract.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLVED!!!!

After amusing myself with the Live Chat guys I rang 191 and found someone who really did manage to help, feels like winning the lottery :Smiling:

He said he was going to "force" the handset by sending and over-the-air configuration update. I was expecting to get one of those config sms messages but nope, no texts, just the lovely, lovely "Vodafone WiFi Call" notification :Laughing_Face:

So, if you want WiFi Calling on your Note 8: call 191, tell the robot "WiFi Calling" and ask the support guy or girl to send a configuration to "update the provisioning" on your handset.

Special thanks goes out to Michael in the Technical Support Team who figured out this issue without wasting time with the usual "have you tried turning it off and on again" :Laughing_Face:

View solution in original position

75 REPLIES 75

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@ahep Is there any pending software updates / carrier updates on the phone ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

No. Running latest software etc.

I am losing the will to live with Vodafone.  After 'accidentally disconnecting all of my lines back in Feb, waiting two months for them to be fully active, then having to fight for a refund of those months, this is just one more reason that I am strongly considering moving to another network.

BandOfBrothers

I'm at a loss then as your phone is included in the accepted eligible handsets. 

Have you perhaps seen the Vodafone Support page on setting up your phone ?

What i'd suggest is to perhaps let the Social Media Team here catch up with your thread and if required send you a Private Message to take you through security protocols and see if they can help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I Have the same issue on my Note 8 - I'm willing to bet Vodafone just haven't activated it on the firmware.

Some bright spark will realise in the coming months that it hasn't been turned on...

Just tried getting this activated via Live Chat, apparently it's all switched on...

Could someone from Vodafone explain how WiFi calling works?

For example, I would imagine the feature is already part of the Vodafone tweaked firmware and just needs to be switched on (along with some things at the network end.) So...

One might assume the network end part is the same for all the supported handsets: your account is either flagged to allow WiFi calling or not. Therefore, either the signal to switch on WiFi calling is not getting sent to the handset or Vodafone haven't yet released a tweaked firmware for the Note 8.

If someone could let us know where the sticking point is and an ETA for the fix it might stop a lot of disgruntled customers walking away to other networks.

(Personally I could do with WiFi calling but I've found the signal on the Note 8 to be a touch better than my old iPhone 6s so that's something!)

Wifi calling is built into andriod ...it just needs to be activated on your sim/account at vodafone

My guess is its not been activaited for Note8's on vodafone's systems yet

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pinkpound @Dmcroweuk @POSitality Please ensure you have the latest software installed on the phone - this can be found under Apps > Settings > About device > Software update > Update > Download > Install. (@ahep You mentioned you're already running the latest software so please ignore this step).

After checking your software and updating it if needed, please switch Wi-Fi Calling on in your settings through Phone > Settings > Wi-Fi Calling > Switch to 'On'. You'd then need to text CALLING to 97888 to fully enable this.

If you've completed the above steps and are continuing to experience issues, please let us know and we can look into this further.

I have followed these steps and confirm I still have the issue. Wi-Fi calling does not appear as an option in the phone settings. 

Thanks for the reply

There is  no wifi calling option under settings to enable/disable . I only have  RCS