Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Note 8 WiFi Calling

ahep
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

After waiting weeks for Wifi Calling to be activated on my S8+, I now feel that history is repeating itself with the Note 8.

WiFi Calling is not an option 'out of the box', texting CALLING to 97888 does nothing, all vodafone customer services can tell me is that the service has been activated and are honestly as much use as a chocolate teapot; the inconsistency in information is beyond a joke.

I can't be the only person having this problem.  I have literally no signal at home and little at work, so wifi calling is a must.

Vodafone, is there a time frame for this service to be activated? Seriously unimpressed having paid £200 upfront and £60+ a month on a 24 month contract.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLVED!!!!

After amusing myself with the Live Chat guys I rang 191 and found someone who really did manage to help, feels like winning the lottery :Smiling:

He said he was going to "force" the handset by sending and over-the-air configuration update. I was expecting to get one of those config sms messages but nope, no texts, just the lovely, lovely "Vodafone WiFi Call" notification :Laughing_Face:

So, if you want WiFi Calling on your Note 8: call 191, tell the robot "WiFi Calling" and ask the support guy or girl to send a configuration to "update the provisioning" on your handset.

Special thanks goes out to Michael in the Technical Support Team who figured out this issue without wasting time with the usual "have you tried turning it off and on again" :Laughing_Face:

View solution in original position

75 REPLIES 75

These instructions are very good but the issue is not having the "WIFI CALLING " OPTION to activate.

We all appear to have latest software on a phone "note8" that should allow it and have sim cards previously used in android phones where WIFI CALLING was activatable.

This is clearly a Vodafone bloatware / software issue.

Please find and offer a solution

Clearly Is just history repeating itself, same thing happened with the S7 - Here and with the S8 per the OP.

What baffles and frustrates me most is when these companies don't learn from previous mistakes and just give the standard, generic, wrong instructions... 

Inability to keep staff likely therefore means not remembering past issues.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Natasha.

The main issue is that, despite having the latest updates, the "WiFi Calling" option is not appearing on the Note 8. I strongly suspect no one with a Note 8 on Vodafone has yet seen this option. We all know where it should be as the Phone App is identical to other Samsung Galaxy phones.

Please could you check with your superiors to assertain when we might be issued the WiFi feature. Also, if anyone somehow has got WiFi Calling working: how did you manage it and what firmware version are you running?

(edit: wow... a lot of people got in a reply while I was typing this so apologies if I'm repeating others' comments!)

Update:

I've been informed that the tweaked Vodafone firmware has not yet been released.

(Bear in mind that Samsung give Vodafone the stock firmware to check or alter, then it goes back and forth till everyone's happy and eventually Samsung put it on their update servers - i.e. this last part is not under Vodafone's control.)

It is expected out in the next regular update cycle, probably the start of next month.

What about the people on sim only contracts ???

This is not a firmware based  problem

Just relaying what I was told...

I've read about people using things like an unbranded S8 and trying to get WiFi Calling and, after flashing branded Vodafone software and setting the correct CSC, toggling the WiFi Calling option off & on (in your account settings) was said to make the option appear on the phone.

Gonna give the toggling idea a try otherwise I'll just wait and see what happens with this next firmware update.

Don't bother with toggling I've been doing that since last friday with no luck

Both my S7E had working vodafone wifi calling and both were unbranded simfree handsets  direct from samsung

**  I just popped my voda sim into my old simfree S7E (which had my wifes o2 sim in it)  and instantly wifi calling was an option again  !!!!!!!!

Interesting! I've been reading up on WiFi Calling in general and it seems the key thing (assuming both the phone, firmware and mobile network support WiFi Calling) is the IMS profile...

I noticed that when first powering up a Note 8 it says: "...as your device doesn't support automatic settings updates." in that auto setup text from Vodafone.

I'm gonna compare my wife's S7 to my Note 8... now how do you access this IMS profile? :Smiling:

Found something!

IMS Settings > Debug Info > IMS Information

My wife's phone has registered the profile "VODAFONE UK IMS VOLTE FOR VOD" and mine has not, hers has "Voic Over IP = true" and mine is false.

So! While the Note 8 has both the firmware and settings needed for WiFi Calling and my account is flagged for WiFi Calling the network is not letting the handset register the relevant profile. I suspect VoLTE doesn't work either :Sad_face: