Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Note8: RCS option and HD voice

alal
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I recently swapped my phone from an S8+ to a Note8, both unlocked and unbraded bought on the Samsung store.

On my S8+ I had the RCS (Rich Communication Services) menu under Call - Settings. On my Note8 that option is missing. Samsung says it is something provided by the network provider and it is right. On my S8+ when I first inserted my Vodafone SIM that option was missing. It only appeared a day later. This makes me think that It is something provisioned by Vodafone, similar to the WiFi calling option.

Attached a picture from my S8+ with the option.

Is there anything I can do? Please I really use that option!!

Also, not sure if I have HD voice enabled? My wife calls me from an S8 and I see the HD icon on the S8 screen, but on my Note8 I do not see any reference to HD. Is this expected?

As a side note, Note8 cannot receive automatic configuration messages. It says that my device is not supported?!

"It looks like you?ve swapped your SIM or updated your device. To continue using data and sending picture messages, you need to update your settings manually, as your device doesn?t support automatic settings updates. Get started at vodafone.co.uk/settingsinfo"

No support for Note8 from Vodafone?

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I was speaking to someone on another forum and their device is the Note 8 Dual SIM version also bought directly from Samsung. 

They have the very same issue. 

Yes its unbranded so it wont have any network bloatware / apps on it. 

Some options are also sent when the sim is inserted. 

The messaging option you speak of can be downloaded from the Vodafone UK help page Vodafone - Android message+

Hd is an automatic feature which this support page gives info on and gives phone comparability > Vodafone - benefits/high-definition-voice-calls.

Some faqs > Using-our-network/HD-Voice.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi,

yes that was me. As I said, I found out that is something provisioned by the network and there is no need to install any apps.

Trying to get someone from Vodafone to help me on this one.

Thanks,

Andre

I called 191 and I was told that there is nothing they can do because note8 is a new phone and currently not supported by Vodafone. Is this for real? Note8 was released 4 months ago.

Can a moderator please help me? Really apreciate it.

Many thanks.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alal - We’re looking into this for you and we’ll post back as soon as we get an update.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alal - Thanks for your patience with this!

We’ve had an update to confirm that it should work on anything Android 2.3 upwards.

With it not being on your phone automatically, you can download the app.

I hope this helps! ☺️

@Gemma wrote:

@alal - Thanks for your patience with this!

We’ve had an update to confirm that it should work on anything Android 2.3 upwards.

With it not being on your phone automatically, you can download the app.

I hope this helps! ☺️

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for looking into this.

Well the point of having this option provisioned on the phone, avoids you to have to download and use any third party app to take advantage of it. So, my question is can it be provisioned to my phone like the WiFi calling option was? Like it was on my S8+?

What about getting a message saying that my phone does not support automatic configuration? Is the Note8 not supported by Vodafone?

What about HD Voice?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get some more info.

Many thanks.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@alal I've sent your questions off to be looked into as we want to make sure we provide you with the correct information 🙂

As soon as we hear back, we'll be sure to post an update on this thread. 

Thank you. Will wait for your update.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@alal If you're on vanilla software then it won’t be automatically provisioned and you'd need the app as previously mentioned by @Gemma 🙂

You're able to find out more information on HD voice and compatibility here