Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

P20PRO wificalling

stewiebrown
4: Newbie

Hi anyone know if WiFi Calling will work with the P20PRO and if not will it be activated shortly

Thanks for any info,

Stew

189 REPLIES 189

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @stewiebrown it's not yet showing on the list here

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/

You would expect it to as the P10 is on the list but it will just be a matter of keeping an eye out or watching the blog to see if it gets added.

I take it there is nothing in the settings yet?

Noting in the setting as yet, Tried to active last night no luck, 

63johnw

Have you tried a manual firmware update? Just in case.

A mate I work with picked his up on Friday, I will have a look at his tomorrow.

Both the P20 and P20 Pro should support Wi-fi calling.  You need three things:

1. A plan that supports Wi-fi calling - most on these phones seem to.

2. To text 'CALLING' to 97888 - Vodafone will then set the service up for you.

3. Enabling certain settings on the phone - and this is where it all goes wrong, as they don't seem to be there !

I have had 3 tedious chats and one call with Vodafone support on this, each going over the same ground.  Basically they do not know how to fix this.

Eventually I went to the Huawei support Web site and looked at the manual - consumer.huawei.com/en/support/phones/p20-pro/

This says that you need to go to Settings >Wireless & networks > Mobile network and turn on VoLTE calls and turn on Wi-fi calling.  I do not have those options in my settings - anyone else have them ?

It also says that you need to go to the phone dialler and go to > Settings > Wi-Fi calling, enable Wi-Fi calling. Touch Mode and follow the onscreen instructions to set the preferred network.  I do not have those settings - anyone else have them ?

It appears that we need a firmware update to provide these features - I have tried numerous times, but no update is available at the moment.

If anyone has further info on this, then please post here.......

63johnw

Hi @Steve928 that's normally the case, a firmware update is rolled out the the new device once Vodafone have tested it. Hopefully it should come fairly quickly for you and the other users.

Hopefully the team here can feed back and ensure that the firmware can be rolled out (provided they are going to support it !!).

Gave it ago if your mean going to setting about and update? Will await to here from you tomorrow, was hoing someone from vodafone was going to comment. 

63johnw

My mate just noticed this in his main settings page.

Screenshot_20180410-200517.png

63johnw

H activated it and it's working for him.

That's very interesting.  I have no recollection of this being one of the 'Suggestions' on the list I had, but too late now as I 'processed' all the items on it and I have no idea if there is any way of getting the list back to check.

However, this does suggest that there is an option/setting/switch somewhere on the phone that enables Wi-fi calling.  I assume that he also sent the 'CALLING' text to Vodafone as I was told that this was a pre-requisite for Wi-fi calling to work!?

I've just been through every setting in turn again (including the developer options which I turned on) and I can't see it.

I'll call Vodafone tomorrow afternoon and will report back if I find anything that helps.