Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone repairs

josephjoy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Power to you! I am not 100% sure what /why Vodafone use this ad campaign! My recent experience with them doesn’t reflect anything otherwise. Recently, to be precise on  28th of April I bought a brand new Sony Xperia hand set from their shop in Hampstead heath. The sales advisor informed me that for the budget I have this is the best phone in the market and I took his advice not to know that this phone is going to give me such a headache. The reason why I bought the Sony hand set is because the phone which I bought in December 2017, a Vodafone own brand stopped working along with the micro memory card which they sold me!!

Power to you!!!! NO “Money to you” I should say!!!

The Sony Xperia worked well for few months and on the third week of August it started playing up and it was getting frozen, blurry and overheating. And then on 18th of August the phone completely stopped charging. I rang the customer service who informed me that they have such phone under my file first and then after a short while he said he can see the purchase. He informed me that I can go to the nearest vodaphone shop and asked them to reboot the software and if that won’t work then they will send it for the repair and they will give me a courtesy phone. So I went visited Vodafone at Lewisham and they did the software reboot. When they handed me the phone he said “ here you go all done” but I when I checked the phone the screen was still blurry. He then advised me to send it for repair but he can’t give me a courtesy phone so I informed him that I will go to the shop where I purchased the phone.

On 22nd of August I visited the Hampstead high street shop and I was served by a gentleman called Alexander and I explained the situation and his immediate response was “what do you want me to do?” . I was shell shocked by his attitude, here I am stuck with a phone which has some sort of software issues and did not expect such a appalling customer service. His next question was –“ have you dropped the phone”. I handed the phone to him and asked him to check it by yourself and he checked it thoroughly.

He then informed me that it will take 5 working days to fix the phone. Then on Friday the 29th of August I received a call from a repair centre saying that they have received my phone and it has cracked. I informed him that when I handed the phone in the shop Alexander has checked the phone and confirmed on the vodaphone oracle system that the phone was in excellent condition and I won’t pay for any damage happened during transit. He then told me that they will contact the shop and liaise directly. Again on Monday the 4th of September I got a call from repair centre informing that I have cracked the phone and I have to bear the costs. I explained him that I have already spoken to his colleague previously informing the same thing and he need to speak to the Vodaphone shop. I stated that you cannot put the blame on me for phone not working and he will contact the shop and do the needful.

Then on 6th of September, forget about the 5 day commitment - 10 working days to be precise, I received a text message saying that the phone is ready to collect and  not to my surprise they have simply send the phone with a covering letter stating they weren’t able to fix the phone as it was not covering under the warranty and they tried to contact me but haven’t been able to reach me!!!!!!!! what an audacity or stupidity to put such a false claim in writing!!!!!when I have already spoken to them twice!!!!!!!

The sales advisor this time was very polite and informed me that he have seen similar scenarios previously with other customers and the best course of action for me is to take the phone to a nearest Sony centre!

I quote one more time your marketing jargon - “ Power to you” – in what sense!!!

I checked on the Sony website and it is showing me the nearest authorised repair centre is Vodafone Hampstead high street. What am I supposed to do!!! “POWER TO YOU” or “MORE MONEY TO YOU”

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I'm not surprised your not impressed with the situation @josephjoy

It's good that the Vodafone rep noted the phones aesthetic condition. Personally i take time and date stamped pictures to back up the items condition too. 

Courtesy phones if one is in stock are available to eligible monthly contracts. It shouldn't matter where you bought it from. 

I fear Sony would probably advise due to the damage to the phone the warranty wouldn't cover the repair. 

Also it's really Vodafone ie the seller of the phone that apply the manufacturing warranty. 

If this was my situation I'd certainly perservere with Customer services. 

We also have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts and help where they can so please let them catch up with your post and I'm sure that they will help you with this situation if they can if they can. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

There isnt any physical damage to the phone and its stopped working under less than 4 months and the vodafone at Lewisham said its an software issue!!! I dont get it!!! so you are saying vodafone has no responsibility in selling these phones!!!

BandOfBrothers

@josephjoy wrote:

There isnt any physical damage to the phone and its stopped working under less than 4 months and the vodafone at Lewisham said its an software issue!!! I dont get it!!! so you are saying vodafone has no responsibility in selling these phones!!!

Not at all. 

As the seller of the phone they apply the Manufacturing Warranty. 

Vodafone Link > Repairing-a-faulty-phone-or-device.

Info in > Consumer-rights-act 2015.

It maybe beneficial to read the sections "Who should you claim against? And Repair or replace - The first six months "

"Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, so you must take any claim to the retailer. "

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @josephjoy

The usual reason for a cracked screen is mistreatment of the phone, the repair centre are not going to tell the customer the phone is cracked without a valid reason.  If the repair centre reported back incorrectly, it wouldn't be a repair service, it is in the repair centres interest to return the phone in a working condition to the customer.

However, with the warrantly offered on the phone, there are limitation to the level of repair that can be carried out by the repair centre.  The advisor has correctly recommended going to a Sony Repair Centre, they can be a lot more willing to undertake a repair declined by a third party repairer.  If Sony consider it is a manufacturing defect, with the phone only being 4 months old, you will be in a good position to get a replacement. If you go this route, don't mention you have tried sending the phone to Vodafone, you need to keep it quiet.

It might be worth mentioning that for the Consumer Rights Act to apply, you would need to be in a positon to prove the phone was faulty at the point of sale.  If you have been using the phone for the last 4 months without issue, this could be a problem to prove.

Give Sony a try, you can find a repair centre by Googling, they will give you the best advise and recommedation to get the phone repaired.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear this happened @josephjoy.

So we can assist you further, I've sent you a private message with details to to contact our team directly.

Once we have your details, we'll be in touch as soon as possible.