cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3 Wifi calling issues (Mobile Preferred)

PixelBadger
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've recently replaced my iPhone with a Pixel 3 and got Wifi calling set up by Vodafone but I noticed it kept turning off at home while I was connected to my home broadband. Dipping into the Wifi calling settings it is switched to 'Mobile Preferred' and there doesn't seem to be a way of changing it to Wifi preferred. With my iPhone it automatically prioritised Wifi over mobile network at all times for calls if the phone was connected to a wifi network. I understand this option is a feature that is network dependent. Is there any chance that Vodafone will be introducing the facility to specify Wifi calling over mobile calling for the Pixel 3? The problem is the Mobile preferred option is causing the phone to connect to mobile rather than wifi calling even when the signal is patchy, so effectively the wifi calling option for the Pixel 3 on Vodafone is useless! And using my Pixel 3 at home as a phone is also useless :Worried_Face:

4 REPLIES 4

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PixelBadger Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about the Wi-Fi Calling issues you're having, since using your Google Pixel 3. I completely understand why you'd be looking to have this functionality on your phone. Currently this isn't something we're aware of as being available on this device. 
I've passed on your feedback though - hopefully this is something the dedicated team will be able to consider in the future 😊

Thank you for your reply. I know this option is available to turn on on some carriers in the US for the Pixel 3 so I think it is at least partly a carrier issue. Thanks for passing on my feedback.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @PixelBadger I received a reply to my email, so I thought I'd pop back and let you know 😊
It looks like it's this way by design but there will be a different experience between operators, depending on how they set up the service to work. For example, an iPhone on the Vodafone network, would also be mobile preferred instead of Wi-Fi as we can’t guarantee the quality of the call on Wi-Fi. 
Devices will have thresholds that decide when to switch to Wi-Fi and it may be that the Pixel is holding onto mobile longer.
You can switch your phone to flight mode and enable Wi-Fi, to force it into Wi-Fi-Calling at home.
I hope this explains things a little 👍

Thanks for getting back to me. I was quite surprised to hear that the iPhone was set up to be mobile preferred for WiFi calling on Vodafone. I’m back on my iPhone now and it just stays connected to WiFi calling the whole time I’m connected to a wireless network. Maybe it deals with the choice of signal better. It doesn’t have the option to choose whether to be mobile or WiFi preferred. It just works. Shame that the Pixel option for priority of signal for WiFi calling isn’t there on Vodafone though.