Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

neilhunter14
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with a Sony Xperia. I do not have WiFi calling enabled, but every call that hits 29m 50s (exactly) gets terminated. It's really annoying as some have been really important with Banks and Financial issues that needed a long call.

Any update from Vodafone or anyone as to why this is happening and what is the fix?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Stevenjfaulkner

Someone mentioned sony handsets. I've an xz3 and this does it. Vodafone say its not a network issue. Odd that it's the same 29.50 timing.

For me, if it is not a network issue then it must be a handset issue, which Vodafone have sold us via 24 month (whatever) contracts - so they are still at fault, as the handset is simply NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE as it clearly is not compatible with Vodafone (if you want to make calls longer than 29m 50s). Which ever way you look at it, Vodafone are responsible.

We are the end users, with either a network or handset issue not getting resolved.

Neil.

davidbarrington
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

It is not your phone it's Vodafone network that's not turning off wifi calling from there end. I have a Poco F3 with same problem they do it to save money on calls.

@KayleighHYou won't even be able to get the O2 firmware without buying that phone from O2 then taking the software from it.  You might be suprised though and it just works. I played with 3 SIM yesterday soon as I put it in both VoLTE and WiFi calling were active by default. I was able to make calls well over 30 mins on 4G AND 5G AND WiFi! Turning airplane mode and WiFi on and off during a call was seamless switching between VoLTE/WiFi calling as it's supposed to do. And heck the call setup time is fast soon as you press green it's ringing. Actually wouldn't have time to hang up if you misdialled before it would be ringing it's that fast.

I have 5G signal at the house and they even allow me using a mobile router APN instead of a phone APN which lets me have a open IP address on the console via hotspot and I was getting 150Mpbs down while on a call with about 2 bars signal. I'm sold on that ordered my own SIM, came today just got to wait until Monday to port my number over to it!

Look in your settings, about phone and let me know the exact device name and MIUI version you have. If it is that rebranded same model as mine it's that you have Global rather than EU software on it (End with MIXM rather than EUXM) - they definitely support WiFi calling with EU software.  Flashing that over is actually a pretty painless and safe process if you can be bothered setting phone up from scratch afterwards.

@davidbarringtonWe know that having Vodafone turn that setting off fixes it but it's not really a fix. When they turn 3G network off next year that will mean anyone with one of these phones will be using 2G for calls only which isn't really good enough

@mdc1983uk That's fantastic about the 3 SIM and sounds like it will make all the difference where you are. I'm gutted as I would love to transfer over to them, but they don't even have 2g signal at the OH's parents and I need internet when I'm there for my sanity! 🤣

When I looked more into flashing the firmware, I realised that O2 don't even sell the phone I have so no chance of me getting it to then flash mine. 

I think if the problem goes on for much longer I will just have to switch over to EE and be done with it as I used my Mum's EE SIM to test and it worked perfectly and VoLte and WiFi calling settings were there in the phone as soon as I put the SIM in. 

I definitely have the RKCEUXM software on mine but definitely don't have the WiFi calling option. So if it is supported by Vodafone then perhaps it's not supported by Voxi even though they use the Voda network.

I'm trying to ask Xiaomi/Poco if they have had anything raised with them by Vodafone about the issue, but I seem to be getting the very generic response of provide us with all your info and send your phone back for repair. I have said I do not want to do this as I know that essentially there will be nothing to fix at their end, especially if it's been confirmed as a problem with Qualcomm chipset. 

Frankly, it beggars belief that end users have to undertake all this troubleshooting when that ought to be the responsibility of Vodafone to fix what is clearly their problem.

@PayPro Well ain't that the truth?! 🤣

@KayleighHYeah exactly. 3 never had 2G signal they rolled out with 3G only and relied on roaming onto another network for 2G in rural area's which cost them more money. But they stopped that about 8 years ago as they now have good 3G and 4G coverage.  The main thing to me is that the 4G calling works properly as that is what will allow me to run the mobile hotspot and use phone at the same time.  You are on the right software that's exactly what I put back on mine RKCEUXM 13.0.8.0 knew they were the same phone! We should be getting Android 12 update over the new few weeks - but I don't think it will fix it.

It's clearly not a Qualcomm chip problem else why does it work fine with 3 and EE? I still reckon it's something Voda have done in the background to mess it up on a per account basis and make some incompatibility. Problem has been going on for to long for it to suddenly start appearing with random new phones after a few months. And the people who have taken out new contracts and not had the problem again with same phone speaks miles for it being something with the account. But they want manufacturers to fix it because they can't, but logic says they are the one with the problem.

My conversation with Xiaomi went like that, they don't believe their phone is at fault and technically it isn't their job to fix it but they will take it for repair. Seems like a very slow process for Voda to tell them what they need to do to ensure compatibility with some weird glitch that happens for no other network and they may just say sorry not our problem.

Roughly where is the OH's parents at? Are you sure there's absolutely no 3 signal there at all? As i've found today even a measly 1 bar signal gives quite a decent download speed. I was getting 150Mbps down on 5G 1 bar downstairs in my house and i'm literally on the border of no 5G coverage/outdoor only on their map. It's nice to see that have underestimated rather than exaggerated the coverage. The 4G is pretty decent as well about 40Mbps down with a 5 bar signal but it doesn't drop much when I reduced the signal artificially. No idea which mast i'm getting the 5G from because the nearest indoor coverage shows about 2 miles away in 2 different directions so could be either.

Think your best bet is to test a PAYT O2 SIM in slot 2 and see if that brings up the WiFi calling option. If it does test it out on WiFi call with airplane mode trick - call customer service or topup line and stay in the loop of menus. If it stays on longer than 29:50 you pretty much know the 4G calling will as well. Then you can compare the cheapest deal you can get with O2 or EE.  And don't forget your 3rd party operators.  Giffgaff/Lycamobile/Sky/Tesco/Virgin all use O2.  1pmobile/Plusnet/Utility Warehouse use EE. But check they support 4G/WiFi calling although even if they don't right now they probably will before the 3G switchoff.

@PayProYeah its pretty dire. To be fair they have paid me a lot of compensation and free rental for the hassle. But at the end of they day if they can't fix the problem it's a no brainer. I'd rather pay someone else for a service that works i'm not after a free ride on a broken system.

Screenshot_2022-08-22-14-11-22-732_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Fully ported now. Ouch. My phone is oh so faulty LOL